Sunday 6 October 2019

Second Wind

"But since you are like lukewarm water, neither hot nor cold, I will spit you out of my mouth."                                                 Revelation 3:16.  New Living Translation

Cast you minds back to when you first got saved. We became Christians in October 1980 - my wife two days before me. It was an amazing time, one that was filled with a spiritual excitement that we had never thought was possible. We purchased bibles and bible notes; Christian books to tell us what we needed to know and Christian music records and tapes. We also went everywhere where we could learn more about Jesus. We both walked around with a copy of The Living Bible New Testament in our pockets and read it at every opportunity. It was an amazing time.

The honeymoon period  of our Christian relationship with Jesus, lasted for ages. Every night when I came home from work and we had eaten and cleared everything away, Christian music was played all night and we would read and fill our minds with more and more of Jesus. We just couldn't get enough of Him. Life was so exciting. 

The thing is, it is a honeymoon period. We're starting a new relationship with Jesus. However, after a time, rather like a marriage, reality kicks in. There is work to do, bills to be paid, kids to be fed and as the reality sets in more and more, spiritual attacks begin, something that we've heard and read about but have no clue how to handle them. It can be a confusing time. But we realise that Jesus is with us but as we grow more and more as a Christian, that wonderful feeling that we had initially, seems to go away.

When Jesus first comes into our lives, it is so wonderful and He holds us in His arms for quite a while as He feeds us with spiritual milk. As time goes on, He expects us to mature so that we are on solid food and able to go forward in our new life with Him. He never leaves us, He just wants us to start making our way in the Christian world. There are wolves out there and He wants us to learn how to fend them off. Our enemy, the devil will try all he can to get us to curse God and turn away from Him; and we have to learn to make a stand against him for Jesus.

It's not easy and for some, we can begin to lose a little of that fire that we first had - that spiritual excitement. You may be feeling that way right now. We need our 'Second Wind.' This is a return of the strength and energy that makes it possible for us to continue our activity or even start again.

Jesus, in our text above, refers to The Church in Laodicea, as being lukewarm. They had lost their fire - their get up and go. It's easy to do this. Lives are busy and if we take our eyes off the captain of the s hip, we can hit the rocks or sink. We need that lift - that Second Wind, to put us back on the road of excitement and fire. If that is where you are right now, say this prayer along with me and fly high in Jesus once more.

Lord Jesus
I come to You right now a little worse for wear. I confess Lord that I am lukewarm; I have lost that fire and excitement that I once had. But I recognise that You are the Chief Fire Starter and I ask you to give me my Second Wind right now. Fill me with the fire of the Holy Spirit. I mean business Lord. I do not wish to be lukewarm any longer, but red hot for You.  Lord, come right now. I receive Your fire; I receive Your Holy Spirit, I receive that excitement for You once again. And I will get back to the business of doing Your will, of spreading Your Word; of letting people see who I belong to.
In Jesus' Name. Amen

Copyright 2019 Grahame Howard

dailylifewithjesus@protonmail.com














No comments:

Post a Comment

Leave a message

Stop being hasty

Better is the poor who walks in his integrity t han one who is perverse in his lips, and is a fool. And he sins who hastens with his feet.  ...