Monday 2 March 2020

A Stumbling Block

"Now as they spoke to the people, the priests, the captain of the temple and the Sadducees came upon them being greatly disturbed that they taught the people and preached in Jesus the resurrection from the dead. And they laid hands on them and put them in custody until the next day for it was already evening."
                                                                             Acts 4:1-3.  NKJV

Wherever you go, if you mention the Name of Jesus, you're going to cause a division between yourself and somebody. There'll always be someone who takes offence and lets you know about it.

Here the Sadducees are not happy because Peter and John have been talking about Jesus and how He was resurrected from the dead. They are in no way pleased that a lame man has been healed. This doesn't come into their religious thinking. If we look at Acts 4:18, Peter and John are actually forbidden to speak or teach in the name of Jesus.

This happened to me some years ago when I was working. I had been speaking to someone who was upset and this person brought up the subject of Jesus. I therefore considered they had given me permission to do the same and the person was very comforted. Later, my boss took me on one side and threatened that if I spoke about Jesus again, disciplinary action would be taken against me. I was forbidden to do this.

There is a fear about the name of Jesus. People who do not know Him or want to know Him, feel He is a threat and will do all they can to prevent this. It doesn't take a rocket scientist to figure out who is pulling their strings. In Isaiah 8:14 and 1 Peter 2:8 we read:

'He is the stone that makes people stumble, the rock that makes them fall' Isaiah 8:14

'They stumble because they do not obey God's Word and so they meet the fate that was planned for them.'  1 Peter 2:8. NLT

There it is in a nutshell. Jesus is a stumbling block to them. Their lifestyle and their actions trip them up whenever the name of Jesus is around. If they know you're a Christian, they will either give you a bad time or will avoid you at all costs. Someone once told me when I was first going to University, 'Oh they eat Christians there. Be careful." And that pretty much sums it up.

Peter and John were forbidden to speak about Jesus anymore. Peter's reaction was:

'Whether it is right in the sight of God to listen to you more than God, you judge. For we cannot but speak the things which we have seen and heard.'   Acts 4:19-20

In other words, we will never be persuaded to stop speaking about Jesus and neither should you either. The devil may try and stop you; he may bring all sorts of power things against you in order to prevent the name of Jesus being spoken about. But don't ever let him stop you. Jesus may be stumbling block to those who are against Him, but He is our Rock:

'The LORD is my rock and my fortress and my deliverer. My God, my strength, in whom I will trust; My shield and the horn of my salvation, my stronghold.'
                                                                               Psalm 18:2

Never, never, ever be tempted to water down the Gospel of Jesus Christ, just because it offends someone. It is their problem, not yours and if they don't wish to hear about Him, fine. One day they will meet Him!

Copyright 2020 Grahame Howard
http://dailylifewithjesusbygrahamehoward.blogspot.com/
dailylifewithjesus@hotmail.com

dailylifewithjesusbygrahamehoward.blogspot.com

HAVE YOU A COPY OF MY BOOK? 
IT WILL REFRESH YOU EACH DAY WITH GOD'S WORD!     

Paperback  https://www.amazon.co.uk/Daily-Life-Jesus-Bible-Commentary/dp/B084DFYKHD/ref=sr_1_1?keywords=Daily+Life+with+Jesus&qid=1581852824&sr=8-1

Kindle
https://www.amazon.co.uk/Daily-Life-Jesus-Bible-Commentary-ebook/dp/B084G9S4FD/ref=sr_1_4?keywords=Daily+Life+with+Jesus&qi

No comments:

Post a Comment

Leave a message

Stop being hasty

Better is the poor who walks in his integrity t han one who is perverse in his lips, and is a fool. And he sins who hastens with his feet.  ...