Saturday 28 August 2021

I know I shouldn't do that but, do it anyway

"For what I am doing, I do not understand. For what I will to do, that I do not practice; but what I hate, that I do." v15                                               Romans 7:1-25   NKJV



It is encouraging to know that Paul suffered from the same struggles we do. Do these thoughts sound familiar, 'I do not understand what I am doing, why did I do that?' Or 'What's wrong with me?' The reason is, there is a war on and we are right in the middle of it. If you have said 'yes' to Jesus, you're on Satan's hit list. We can echo Paul's statement, 'For what I will to do, I do not practice; but what I hate, I do' v15. Paul admits that what he is doing is wrong but, he can't break free from it.

Is there a Christian who does not feel this way? One who does not feel the pain and the shame of their sin. The heart of the problem is that we are still in the flesh. Our old self was crucified with Christ, the flesh was not. Our flesh remains active and will do until we are given a new body in heaven. 

We are totally brand new in Jesus but, we live in a contaminated body. Therefore, in v20 Paul says 'Now if I do what I will not to do, it is no longer I who do it, but sin that dwells in me.' He is saying that it is not him that is doing it but the sin that lives within him, by the flesh. He does not excuse his sin however but just reminds us of where we are. We live in a body that is contaminated by sin in our flesh, but Jesus can help us as we call on Him and walk with Him. He dwells within us 'He who is in you is greater than he who is in the world' 1 John 4:4.

Be encouraged, you are not the only one who struggles with sin. If the apostle Paul struggled with it, you can bet that you will. Just stay in the Spirit of God. You're doing well.

Remember Paul's words and live by them, 'I have been crucified with Christ; it is no longer I who live, but Christ lives in me; and the life which I now live in the flesh I live by faith in the Son of God, who loved me and gave Himself for me'  Galatians 2:20.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Leave a message

Stop being hasty

Better is the poor who walks in his integrity t han one who is perverse in his lips, and is a fool. And he sins who hastens with his feet.  ...