Monday 24 January 2022

Controlling anger (3)

"Who will free me from this life that is dominated by sin and death? 25 Thank God! The answer is in Jesus Christ our Lord." v24-25                          Romans 7:14-25   NLT 

Our anger can bring us to the depth of total guilt and shame and we can have a temptation to give up - 'What's the point, I've blown it now?' It is an overbearing feeling and one, in which the Apostle Paul knew all about. Ask yourself one question, 'Did I think I would be excempt a spiritual attack?’ Because this is what it is. People may think bad of you, but what does God think? What do you think? 

Paul had this struggle too and questioned himself throughly about his sin. He came to the conclusion that the trouble was with him (v14-15) - 'for I am all too human - a slave to sin.' I want to do what is right but I don't do it. Instead I do what I hate'. (v18-19) 'I want to do what is right, but I can't. I want to do what is good, but I don't. I don't want to do what is wrong but, I do it anyway.' v24-25 'Who will free me from this life that is dominated by sin and death? 'Thank God! The answer is in Jesus Christ our Lord.'

Does this sound familiar to you? Of course it does, we all do this and it is encouraging to realise that, a man as bold and fearless as Paul could have these feeling as well. It's good to know this and shows that we are normal.

Tony Evans comments:
'Paul had the same struggles we do. We've all said, "I don't understand what I am doing. What is wrong with me?" We agree we do what is wrong, we just can't break free from it. The more closer you are to God, the more you are aware of it. The problem is, our old self was crucified with Christ, the flesh wasn't. Our sinful nature was put to death but our flesh remains active. You are totally sanctified in Christ - redeemed, totally brand new but, you live in a body contaminated by flesh. Therefore, when we sin, we are no longer the one's doing it, it is the sin that lives in us (7:20). Paul is not excusing our sin, he is reminding us that our true identity is no longer found in our actions, even if we keep sinning.'
                                                               Tony Evans Bible Commentary

So there we have it. You are normal, you will be exposed and fall to sin because your flesh is not free like your spirit is. But this doesn't mean we just get on with it and and just accept this. No, we need to do all we can to attempt, as much as we can, to live sin free lives. It can be accomplished if we stay close to Jesus.

Copyright 2021 Grahame Howard.                                 

dailylifewithjesusbygrahamehoward.blogspot.com          

If you would like to contact me, CLICK HERE

Member of the National Association of Christian Ministers

Why not order my Daily Commentary from Amazon - Paperback or Kindle 

Check it out

 https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B084G9S4FD/ref=dbs_a_def_rwt_bibl_vppi_i2














No comments:

Post a Comment

Leave a message

Stop being hasty

Better is the poor who walks in his integrity t han one who is perverse in his lips, and is a fool. And he sins who hastens with his feet.  ...