Wednesday 4 May 2022

Drop the past - Reach forward Part 2

"Not that I have already  reached the goal or am already perfect, but I make every effort to take hold of it, because I also have been taken hold of by Christ Jesus."v12  
                                                                                       Philippians 3:12-21    CSB 

Considering yesterday's commentary, I must add that it is very hard to completely drop the past without a fight. For some it may take an age; however, it can be attained, we just have to keep trying without the temptation to quit.

Paul tells us in this piece of scripture, that he hasn't reached it yet, he's also nowhere near as perfect as he would like but, he is working towards it. 'making every effort to take hold' v12. In other words, he is going flat out, taking every opportunity he can and fully focused too. He has a 'nothings going to stop me' attitude; he is determined, 'I'll take hold of it because Jesus took hold of me - gave me a chance, therefore I'll give it my all' 12 (my paraphrase). 
We need to have a short memory as far as the hurts in our life go, because these hurts can't stop us moving on. In fact, stop looking in the rear view mirror and concentrate on looking through the windscreen -  it's bigger and clearer. 

There's a prize to be won (v14), there always is in a race, which this is. It's a heavenly prize that is promised by God's heavenly call, so press on with a forward focus. You determine your future by the choices you make - Jesus or self; the past or the future. You know what the right way is, 'live up to the truth you have attained' v16. You have attained Jesus, who is the truth (John 14:6). So, you know the truth and he knows you. You also know the way to go.

Don't be focused on earthly things (v19). Your citizenship is in heaven, the Lord Jesus is there at the righthand of His Father, urging you on. It's almost like he is shouting, 'They can do it Father, look they're almost there; they've left the past and are headed to the 'signpost'. What does the signpost say? 'THE FUTURE'.

If Jesus says you can do it, you can do it!

Copyright 2022 Grahame Howard.                                

dailylifewithjesusbygrahamehoward.blogspot.com          

If you would like to contact me, CLICK HERE

Member of the National Association of Christian Ministers

Why not order my Daily Commentary from Amazon - Paperback or Kindle 

Check it out

 https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B084G9S4FD/ref=dbs_a_def_rwt_bibl_vppi_i2













No comments:

Post a Comment

Leave a message

Grace

" Then Paul stood up, and motioning with  his  hand said, “Men of Israel, and you who fear God, listen:   17  The God of this people  I...