Wednesday 17 May 2023

Is it well with your soul?

 "Now may the God of peace Himself sanctify you completely and may your whole spirit, soul and body be preserved blameless at the coming of our Lord Jesus Christ."
                                                                      1 Thessalonians 5:23   NKJV

This verse can be put together with Psalm 103:1: 'Bless the LORD O my soul and all that is within me, bless His holy name'.
Horatio Spafford was a successful attorney and real estate investor who, lost a fortune following the terrible Chicago fire of 1871. Around the time, his beloved 4 year old son died of scarlet fever. The family were devastated and Spafford felt that his wife and daughters needed a break. He sent them on a trip to England, promising to join them when he had cleared things up in his business. However, more devastation was to follow; the ship had a collision with another craft and sank in the Atlantic. His four daughters were lost but, his wife Anna survived and cabled him to let him know. Spafford didn't hesitate and caught the next ship over to England. At the exact spot where the ship had sunk, Spafford had asked the captain to let him know. As he looked down on the cold waters, he felt peace within his soul and he wrote down the lyrics of the hymn 'It is well with my soul'
When peace like a river attendeth my wayWhen sorrows like sea billows rollWhatever my lot, Thou hast taught me to sayIt is well, it is well with my soul
It is well (it is well)With my soul (with my soul)It is well, it is well with my soul     (Horatio Spafford/Philip Paul Bliss)
This man, although devastated by his loss, had learned the secret of God's peace. There was nothing he could have done to prevent what had happened. It was one of life's major crises that may happen to anyone in some way or other. Spafford found joy and peace in knowing he had Jesus and that he also had his wife Anna to grieve with. Just take note of the words:
'Whatever my lot, Thou hast taught me to say, it is well, it is well with my soul'.
What is your soul like today? Are you in pain, in grief, loss or in turmoil? Take on board the words of this wonderful, inspiring hymn and know that whatever, God is with you, now and forever.
I have provided a link for the full lyrics   sovereign grace music it is well with my soul
Copyright 2023 Grahame Howard.                                

dailylifewithjesusbygrahamehoward.blogspot.com  

If you would like to contact me, CLICK HERE

Member of the National Association of Christian Ministers

Why not order my Daily Commentary from Amazon - Paperback or Kindle 

Check it out

 https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B084G9S4FD/ref=dbs_a_def_rwt_bibl_vppi_i2











  


 






  


 


No comments:

Post a Comment

Leave a message

Grace

" Then Paul stood up, and motioning with  his  hand said, “Men of Israel, and you who fear God, listen:   17  The God of this people  I...