Tuesday 5 December 2023

The 'What if Syndrome'

"Therefore, do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about its own things. Sufficient for the day is its own trouble."     Matthew 6:34   NKJV 

Do you spend a lot of time worrying about tomorrow? Many people do; it may be Tuesday today but some people become anxious about tomorrow - Wednesday, what they have got to do, how they going to cope with everything. The term, 'What if?' is very much on their minds, so much in fact, that they make themselves upset about it, literally dreading tomorrow coming. May I ask, what is the point. Tomorrow's schedule can be changed before you even get there. As a newly qualified social worker back in the day, I used to suffer from the 'What if Syndrome,' 'What if I have so much to do, I won't be able to cope?' 'I'm in court tomorrow on care proceedings, what if the judge doesn't agree with me?', and on and on. Often, by the time tomorrow came, things had completely changed and there was no need to have worried at all.

Focusing on living for today, is God's remedy for worry. Planning for tomorrow is time well spent; worrying about it, is not. Sometimes it is difficult to tell the difference but, plans made with Jesus' direction are productive, trying to plan on our own can be a pressure because we are tending to put our trust in ourselves. It may sound a little crazy to other people but, this is how God wants us to be: 'Commit your actions to the LORD and your plans will succeed'  Proverbs 16:3. When we put God in the driving seat, we know He will navigate us in the right direction.

So, are you a worrier? Do you become anxious about things? If so, what can you change by worrying? Jesus said, 'Can all your worries add a single moment to your life?" Mt 6:27
Someone once said to me, 'If I'm faced with worry, I think to myself, "Can I change this? If so, I'll do something about it. If I can't, what's the point in worrying anyway, it's going to happen whatever." A rather straight to the point way of looking at things but, there is truth in this. We worry and find we can't sleep. The worrying affects us so much that people close to us get impatient with this. Worry and anxiety needs to be re-channelled before it takes over our lives. If not, we can become paranoid believing that the worst will happen. It can affect our mental health dramatically. Therefore, when a worry comes into your head, give it to Jesus and keep on doing this. After you have done it, you may still worry, but with practice, you will see the goodness of the Lord. He won't let you down. Make it a plan in your life that whenever worry comes your way that you will forward it to Jesus, because He cares 1 Peter 5:7.

If you don't know Jesus or have fell away, here is a prayer for you:

'Lord Jesus, I have sinned and I ask you to forgive me and be my Lord and Saviour. Please come into my heart, fill me with Your Spirit and give me a brand new start today.

In Jesus' Name. Amen'


Copyright 2023 Grahame Howard.                                 

dailylifewithjesusbygrahamehoward.blogspot.com          

If you would like to contact me, CLICK HERE

Member of the National Association of Christian Ministers

Why not order my Daily Commentary from Amazon - Paperback or Kindle  

Check it out

 https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B084G9S4FD/ref=dbs_a_def_rwt_bibl_vppi_i2


































No comments:

Post a Comment

Leave a message

Grace

" Then Paul stood up, and motioning with  his  hand said, “Men of Israel, and you who fear God, listen:   17  The God of this people  I...