Friday 19 January 2024

Your responsibility to work

"If anyone isn't willing to work, he should not eat."  2 Thessalonians 3:10  CSB 

This is a very contentious topic to discuss but, the fact is, God expects us to work to provide for ourselves, our family and to pay the ongoing bills that land on our mat each week. Sadly, within the church there are people who refuse to consider doing this. This was what Paul was addressing in this scripture. This is what he wrote:
'Now we command you brothers and sisters, in the name of our Lord Jesus Christ, to keep away from every brother or sister who is idle and, does not live according to the tradition received from us. 7 For you yourselves know how you should imitate us: We were not idle among you 8 we did not eat anyone's food free of charge, instead we laboured and toiled, working night and day, so that we would not be a burden to any of you. 9 It is not that we don't have the right to support, but we did it to make ourselves an example to you, so that you would imitate us.'  2 Thess 3:6-9.
We couldn't have it more plainer that that. Paul was saying that they worked to provide for themselves so that, they could minister to the people. They did not rely on anyone for support. He makes it plain that, we should all provide for ourselves and not expect others to do so. One of the references to these verses says: 'Refused employment, leads to becoming busybodies, who simply should go back to work'  Spirit Filled Bible.
Even Jesus' disciples worked for a living, check out the gospels.

Now, without trying to open a can of worms, there are people who simply do not want to work because the benefits that they receive from the Government, far outweigh what they could receive with a humble job. Hear me properly here, I am not talking about people who have long-term medical issues that prevent them from any type of manual work, not at all. It has been said by some, that perhaps an office job would be the way forward for them for up to 16 hours per week. This wouldn't cancel out any benefits - I don't think so anyway. 
Some people tell me that, they have worked all of their lives and are proud of this. This is not possible though, for people who have long term illnesses such as cancers, MS, COPD and other disabilities. Everyone is different and no two cases are alike. 

However, it must be said that some people know the system and have no intention of working. This of course is their choice. From what Paul writes, he is so blessed that he has worked to supply his needs, and this helped him to travel around preaching what he loved - the gospel.
I do hope that you are not offended by what I have written today. As I have said before, I must write what my boss (God) gives me, so, I can make no apologies for this. We are a witness to our children, what they see us doing may be reflected in how they handle their lives when they leave school. Just saying! 

If you don't know Jesus or, have fallen away, why not say this prayer right now:
'Lord Jesus, I have sinned and I ask you to forgive me and be my Lord and Saviour. Please come into my heart, fill me with Your Spirit and give me a brand new start today.

In Jesus' Name. Amen'

Copyright 2024 Grahame Howard.                                 

dailylifewithjesusbygrahamehoward.blogspot.com          

If you would like to contact me, CLICK HERE

Member of the National Association of Christian Ministers

Why not order my Daily Commentary from Amazon - Paperback or Kindle  

Check it out

 https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B084G9S4FD/ref=dbs_a_def_rwt_bibl_vppi_i2












No comments:

Post a Comment

Leave a message

Grace

" Then Paul stood up, and motioning with  his  hand said, “Men of Israel, and you who fear God, listen:   17  The God of this people  I...