Sunday 11 February 2024

Our Five Senses (SMELL)

“For we are to God the pleasing aroma of Christ among those who are being saved and those who are perishing.” 2 Corinthians 2:15

Following on from yesterday, we come to the second sense:
Smell: Nose

The sense of smell mostly brings a joy to our soul rather like, sweet-smelling flowers, freshly baked bread, the freshness of the countryside on a summer's walk. The sense of smell should make us want to give praise to God. Obviously I’m talking in a spiritual way here. Some smells are not so praiseworthy. What kind of smell are you exhaling around? When you are with your family or friends, do you have a good smell - a fragrance, to them?

In all things we need to breathe life, and exhale Jesus to other people. As I have mentioned many times, not all people read a bible or go to church. In fact, many only attend church for weddings, Christenings or funerals. The bible, if a family have one, usually goes unread gathering dust. I remember once in Brighton, we had travelled to a Christian outreach. One night, on the way to the venue we stopped to have a meal. I had my bible with me and the young waitress asked me if I wanted her to put it behind the counter while we ate, I'll never forget, she carried it as if it was going to leap out of her hands and bite her. Prayer also is something unbelievers only consider when things go dreadfully wrong. The rest of the time, the fragrance of God is not around them. This is where we come in.
We have the capability to spread the fragrance of Jesus wherever we go. That sweet smelling aroma of Jesus Christ should be exhaling from us to people. When it is, they can feel this. They may not say anything but they know, there is something about us. We smell differently and it affects them. Some may become annoyed and aggressive towards us; others may want to know more. Remember, many unbelievers have problems just like we do but many don't have any opportunity to talk it through. This is where we can help. Without being forceful, we can begin a conversation with them and they may disclose something that is bothering them. And this may give us the opportunity to pray with them. You never know until you try.

When Jesus walked the earth, wherever He went He drew people to Himself. This may have been people who wanted to follow Him or hurt Him. Whatever, they couldn't resist being with Him. This is the fragrance I am talking about here, the smell of the Holy Spirit falling on whoever is around. And as a Christian, you have this within you. You may not know this or, if you do, you may not want to use it but, the fragrance is still with you because Jesus is with you.

Just imagine what you could achieve for Jesus if you submitted to Him and agreed that anywhere you go you will tell someone what this fragrance is. 

If you don't know Jesus or, have fallen away, why not say this prayer right now:
'Lord Jesus, I have sinned and I ask you to forgive me and be my Lord and Saviour. Please come into my heart, fill me with Your Spirit and give me a brand new start today.

In Jesus' Name. Amen'

Copyright 2024 Grahame Howard.                                

dailylifewithjesusbygrahamehoward.blogspot.com  

If you would like to contact me, CLICK HERE

Member of the National Association of Christian Ministers

Why not order my Daily Commentary from Amazon - Paperback or Kindle 

Check it out

 https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B084G9S4FD/ref=dbs_a_def_rwt_bibl_vppi_i2













  
 












No comments:

Post a Comment

Leave a message

Grace

" Then Paul stood up, and motioning with  his  hand said, “Men of Israel, and you who fear God, listen:   17  The God of this people  I...