Tuesday 9 April 2024

Jonah Part 2

"I cried out to the LORD because of my affliction, and He answered me."  
                                                              Jonah 2:2  NKJV 

What a situation Jonah had caused because of his disobedience and rebellion. He had caused grief to the sailors he had been travelling with. He had walked away from God and flatly refused to relent. When the chips are down and we are in dire straits, we nearly always call on God, have you noticed this. The sailors were no different, they called on their own gods 1:5 but alas, there was no change. This brought further panic and eventually Jonah confessed that he was on the run from Almighty God. This panicked them further but notice what happened here, 'Therefore, they cried out to the LORD and said, "We pray, O LORD, please do not let us perish for this man's life" 1:14. What a difference this made. As Jonah had requested, they threw him into the sea and there was peace all around. God had used Jonah's disobedience to encourage the sailors to call out to Him and He saved them. They would never forget this. Joseph said something very similar in Genesis 50:20. Talking to his brothers he said 'But as for you, you meant evil against me; but God meant it for good.' God will always bring good out of evil.

In his terror, God also provided for Jonah - he was swallowed by a large fish and banished from God's sight 2:4. He was out of fellowship with God and in the pit 2:6. Now the pit is not a bad place to be if it gets you back into the will of God. It can bring us to our senses and help us realise that we can't do everything that we feel we should. God must have the first choice. While in the body of this smelly, slimy awful stomach of this fish, Jonah remembered the LORD. 'I cried out to the LORD because of my affliction, and He answered me' v 2:2. Jonah called on God and his prayer was heard, so the LORD spoke to the fish and it vomited Jonah onto dry land. There has been a lot of debate over the years from theologians about whether the fish was real? - was it a whale? There are large fish in the ocean that are capable of swallowing a man. The thing is, I believe God and His Word, and if it is in the bible, no scholarly conversation is going to change my mind. It was a fish and it was a miracle!

One thing is for sure, things were not going to get any better until Jonah came to his senses and repented and called on God. Yes, he had been driven to this decision; like a game of chess, he was in check and if he didn't change his ways, it would be checkmate. Remember, God didn't have to answer him. It is called grace.

If you don't know Jesus or, have fallen away, why not say this prayer right now:
'Lord Jesus, I have sinned and I ask you to forgive me and be my Lord and Saviour. Please come into my heart, fill me with Your Spirit and give me a brand new start today.

In Jesus' Name. Amen'

Copyright 2024 Grahame Howard.                                

dailylifewithjesusbygrahamehoward.blogspot.com  

If you would like to contact me, grahame.howard@hotmail.co.uk

Member of the National Association of Christian Ministers

Why not order my Daily Commentary from Amazon - Paperback or Kindle 

Check it out

 https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B084G9S4FD/ref=dbs_a_def_rwt_bibl_vppi_i2




 


 

 


 








No comments:

Post a Comment

Leave a message

Grace

" Then Paul stood up, and motioning with  his  hand said, “Men of Israel, and you who fear God, listen:   17  The God of this people  I...