Thursday 9 May 2024

Stick to the rules

"But you must continue in the things that you have learned and been assured of knowing from whom you have learned them."  2 Timothy 3:14. NKJV

When my kids were young, whatever we bought them in way of toys, I obviously helped them put the thing together. This may have been a bike, a game such as Mouse Trap, Lego, you name it. I flatly refused to look at the rules (instructions), that was for wimps I thought. I didn't need them because, I was pretty cool at sorting things out like this. Many is the time when, several hours later, I would still be trying to work it all out and I would blame the makers for not giving us enough tools. My young son, much to my dismay, was usually the one to pick up the instructions, get it sorted in his head and finish the job in no time at all.

Sadly, I am still a little like this. If we have bought flat packs for the house or some other technical item, I am usually the one who takes the lead - again without the rules. This infuriates my wife who will take the rules from the pack and give me instructions which usually, I tend not to follow until, that is, I reach a dead end. It's a 'Man thing' I think and one in which I really must avoid. Many is the time when I have fitted the door of a cupboard on the back instead of the front. This is when, my wife takes over the instructions and I have to obey, at peril. You may not be like this, but for most of the men, you shouldn't tell lies, you'll only have to repent.

Let us not forget that scripture tells us: 'Trust in the LORD with all your heart; do not depend on your own understanding. 6 Seek His will in all you do, and He will show you which path to take."  Proverbs 3:5-6. You may think that this does not concern building toys or putting up cupboards, but, it does. We belong to Jesus and He wants us to depend on this. The scripture tells us to 'seek His will in all we do, and He will then show you which path to take'. It is not splitting hairs, we either believe in God for all things or we don't. Jesus is interested in all we do and doesn't want us becoming frustrated with things. Don't forget, He was a carpenter, who better to seek help with cupboard building and DIY than Him?

I know God is saying to me, 'Yes, Grahame, read the instructions and seek My help from now on.' Ok, I surrender to this but, I feel that I am not the only one who needs to take notice of this. Ask yourself, 'If DIY and putting things together is not my thing, wouldn't it be better to seek God's help?' You know it would and it will help avoid souring the air with your spouse. Get it right and follow the instructions 

If you don't know Jesus or, have fallen away, why not say this prayer right now:
'Lord Jesus, I have sinned and I ask you to forgive me and be my Lord and Saviour. Please come into my heart, fill me with Your Spirit and give me a brand new start today.

In Jesus' Name. Amen'

Copyright 2024 Grahame Howard.                                

dailylifewithjesusbygrahamehoward.blogspot.com  

If you would like to contact me, grahame.howard@hotmail.co.uk

Member of the National Association of Christian Ministers

Why not order my Daily Commentary from Amazon - Paperback or Kindle 

Check it out

 https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B084G9S4FD/ref=dbs_a_def_rwt_bibl_vppi_i2




 


 

 


 





 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Leave a message

Grace

" Then Paul stood up, and motioning with  his  hand said, “Men of Israel, and you who fear God, listen:   17  The God of this people  I...