Tuesday 25 June 2024

Depression

"It is enough! Now, LORD, take my life, for I am no better than my fathers."  
                                                                      1 Kings 19:4. NKJV

We may all have uttered similar statements to God when the chips have been down. It is probably something that we can empathise with. It's quite strange though, after-all, this man was a prophet - a mighty one and he had done more than the average human being would be able to do in a life time. However, there was a resemblance, he was human, and he hurt like a human, he grew tired like a human does and he became frightened of certain things just like we all do. Jesus, who became in human form could easily have identified exactly how Elijah was feeling, the difference being, Jesus didn't run away, He faced His tormenters.
We can do mighty things for God at one moment and want to run away, the next. The pain, the fear and the awesome anxiety can bring us to our knees. So, just what are the symptoms of depression:
'Depression affects people in different ways and can cause a wide variety of symptoms.They range from lasting feelings of unhappiness and hopelessness, to losing interest in the things you used to enjoy and feeling very tearful. Many people with depression also have symptoms of anxiety. There can be physical symptoms too, such as feeling constantly tired, sleeping badly, having no appetite or sex drive, and various aches and pains. The symptoms of depression range from mild to severe. At its mildest, you may simply feel persistently low in spirit, while severe depression can make you feel suicidal, that life is no longer worth living'.   NHS.UK
Firstly, it is important to recognise that depression is not a sin. Never has been and never will be.  
Some people may say that a depressed person has sin in their life that is causing this condition. Avoid these people. They are undiscerning people and cause more problems by being this way. People like King David, Elijah and even Jonah among other biblical characters became depressed and many men and woman of God suffer similar bouts of this. It is nothing to be ashamed of. You may have become overtired and overworked; you may also have had a bereavement or marital problem, you may also have been made redundant and have money issues. These are just some of the things that can bring us down. But know one thing. There is not one moment when Jesus will leave you because of it. He will help you through every inch of the way.
Just check this in Psalm 40:1-2:
'I waited patiently for the Lord; He inclined to me and heard my cry. He drew me up from the pit of destruction, out of the miry bog, and set my feet upon a rock, making my steps secure.' The vivid imagery in this verse is especially relevant for those dealing with depression.
Again, see the reality of being proactive as you become stronger in your journey through depression:
'Why, my soul, are you downcast? Why so disturbed within me? Put your hope in God, for I will yet praise him, my Saviour and my God'.  Psalm 42:5  NIV
The Psalmist speaks to His soul and questions why it is feeling this way. He tells himself to put his hope in God and just praise Him continually. God connects with this type of prayer and praise. There has to come a time that we need to stand up and move on. Are you ready for that yet?

If you don't know Jesus or, have fallen away, why not say this prayer right now:
'Lord Jesus, I have sinned and I ask you to forgive me and be my Lord and Saviour. Please come into my heart, fill me with Your Spirit and give me a brand new start today.

In Jesus' Name. Amen'

Copyright 2024 Grahame Howard.                                

dailylifewithjesusbygrahamehoward.blogspot.com  

If you would like to contact me, grahame.howard@hotmail.co.uk

Member of the National Association of Christian Ministers

Why not order my Daily Commentary from Amazon - Paperback or Kindle 

Check it out


No comments:

Post a Comment

Leave a message

Stop being hasty

Better is the poor who walks in his integrity t han one who is perverse in his lips, and is a fool. And he sins who hastens with his feet.  ...