Sunday 14 July 2024

Your table is prepared

"You prepare a table before me in the presence of my enemies; You anoint my head with oil"                                           Psalm 23:6

To get the full picture of this piece of scripture, it may be a good idea to read the whole Psalm.
This Psalm demonstrates King David's total trust in God. Pastoral in content, reflecting a peaceful confidence in his Father. Written in two metaphors, it describes Jesus as the Shepherd v1-4 and God as the host v5-6.

When we put our trust in God, He will do everything possible to provide, protect and bless us through the darkest of our days. It's good to know that He never leaves us, He is always there v4. As we walk through our dark days with Him, we arrive safely at the other side (1) either a Godly solution to the problem we are in or (2) our arrival in heaven when our life is over. In both cases, we win. At the end of whatever journey we take, God provides a table, which illustrates abundance, satisfaction and everlasting love. No enemy can ever take this away from us.

Whatever we are going through, we should never give up. I know it may sound easier said than done. But at times like this, we have to exercise our faith and remember scriptures such as Philippians 4:13 'I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me.' Please note the highlight here. Without Jesus we go nowhere successfully. Don't listen to the devil's lies. Until you reach this holy table, keep walking on. It is there that you will find God's rewards.

Bob Gass said, 'God never said the journey would be easy, but He did say the arrival would be wonderful.' And this is true. Of the two kinds of oil God uses for anointing - the Priestly anointing oil and the Oriental perfumed oil, this oil in Psalm 23 is the latter. This act shows favour and excellent hospitality. God's provision never runs dry. This is why David could write, 'My cup runs over.' When God gives, He gives wholeheartedly. He never cheats on the cheese; He gives abundantly. Probably you have witnessed this in your own life or, you're still waiting. Get ready for when it comes, it will be amazing.

Just think, when you're at God's table - metaphorically speaking, no enemy can touch you, they can only watch and gloat. This is why, in Jesus, we are winners. Remember, Paul said that 'we are more than conquerors through Him who loved us' (Rom 8:37). 

So rest in God's word for today. You are special

If you don't know Jesus or, have fallen away, why not say this prayer right now:
'Lord Jesus, I have sinned and I ask you to forgive me and be my Lord and Saviour. Please come into my heart, fill me with Your Spirit and give me a brand new start today.

In Jesus' Name. Amen'

Copyright 2024 Grahame Howard.                                

dailylifewithjesusbygrahamehoward.blogspot.com  

If you would like to contact me, grahame.howard@hotmail.co.uk

Member of the National Association of Christian Ministers

Why not order my Daily Commentary from Amazon - Paperback or Kindle 

Check it out


No comments:

Post a Comment

Leave a message

Grace

" Then Paul stood up, and motioning with  his  hand said, “Men of Israel, and you who fear God, listen:   17  The God of this people  I...