Friday 4 October 2024

False accusations

13And so it was, when she saw that he had left his garment in her hand and fled outside,  14that she called to the men of her house and spoke to them, saying, “See, he has brought in to us a Hebrew to mock us. He came in to me to lie with me, and I cried out with a loud voice.  15And it happened, when he heard that I lifted my voice and cried out, that he left his garment with me, and fled and went outside.”  Genesis 39:13-15. NKJV

Poet William Congreve, said, "Heaven has no rage like love to hatred turned, nor hell a fury like a woman scorned." Potiphar's wife repeatedly offered herself to her husband's young, successful, attractive servant (Genesis 39:1–10). He steadfastly refused for the sake of honour and morality. Finally, when she had Joseph alone and cornered (Genesis 39:11), she aggressively threw herself at him, grabbing his cloak.

Potiphar's wife was sexually attracted to Joseph and began urging him to have sex with her. However, Joseph was a faithful man and was grateful that his master had been so kind to him. He just couldn't betray him by sleeping with his wife, so he repeatedly refused. Because of the very hot climate in Egypt, Joseph would have worn very little and, because he was handsome in form and appearance (v6), this may well have led to her adulterous behaviour.
One day, when all of the other servants were working outside - possibly arranged by her, she lunged against Joseph, grabbing his garment and told him to lie with her. Joseph, broke free from her and ran outside (we should always run from sin). The problem was, the wife still had his garment in her hands. She went and found the other servants and told them her side of the story: “See, he has brought in to us a Hebrew to mock us. He came in to me to lie with me, and I cried out with a loud voice.  15And it happened, when he heard that I lifted my voice and cried out, that he left his garment with me, and fled and went outside.” v14. Notice that she insulted her husband in front of the slaves, too. When Potiphar returned home, he believed his wife and with rage, had Joseph thrown into prison. I feel that he doubted his wife's accusations though and was lenient with Joseph as he could have had him executed for such a charge. Joseph was placed in prison but, it was all part of God's bigger picture. Joseph didn't know it at the time but in a few years, his life would change for the better.

Many of us have had false accusations made against us, and they hurt, especially when they come from people we know very well and have trusted. Our initial reaction is mostly, 'Why?' But as the accusation settles in we can begin to feel anger, bewilderment and this can turn to bitterness. We don't know what Joseph said to Potiphar - if anything, but from what we know of him, he would have allowed God to handle the situation. Jesus said 'Blessed are you when they revile and persecute you, and say all kinds of evil against you falsely for My sake. Rejoice and be exceedingly glad, for great is your reward in heaven, for so they persecuted the prophets who were before you.'  Matt 5:11-12. And, we have the protection that God offers us "Vengeance is mine, I will repay' says the Lord. Romans 12:19.

So be sure to call on God and allow Him to help in times of trouble. He will avenge if you don't try to take the matter into your own hands.

If you don't know Jesus or, have fallen away, why not say this prayer right now:
Lord Jesus, I have sinned   
I ask you to forgive me and be my Lord and Saviour. Please come into my heart, fill me with Your Spirit and give me a brand new start today.

In Jesus' Name. Amen'

Copyright 2024 Grahame Howard.                                

dailylifewithjesusbygrahamehoward.blogspot.com  

If you would like to contact me, grahame.howard@hotmail.co.uk

Member of the National Association of Christian Ministers

Why not order my Daily Commentary from Amazon - Paperback or Kindle 

Check it out






No comments:

Post a Comment

Leave a message

Covetousness

" Let your  conduct  be  without covetousness;  be  content with such things as you have. For He Himself has said,  “I will never leave...