Wednesday 2 October 2024

You can do anything through Christ

"I can do all things [which He has called me to do] through Him who strengthens and empowers me [to fulfil His purpose--I am self-sufficient in Christ’s sufficiency; I am ready for anything and equal to anything through Him who infuses me with inner strength and confident peace.]   Philippians 4:13  Amplified

Can I really do anything? Yes, but only through Jesus. Obviously, you have to be sensible; it would be really unwise to go and climb Mount Everest without any experience. That would be a recipe for disaster. Also, you would need to know that God has called you to do this. Many people have misconstrued  this verse thinking that, 'You see, God says I can, so I can'. You need to read the scriptures carefully and read around verses to get the feel of what is being said. It is not a time to just take a verse such as this, out of context. Be careful of this.

Paul uses the word 'content', which literally means 'self-sufficient. In Stoic philosophy this Greek word described a person who would accept whatever circumstance came their way. For the Greeks, this contentment came from personal sufficiency. But for Paul, true sufficiency is found in the strength of Jesus. Paul was saying that he had been rich and he had been poor and had learned to be content in each area. He says in the Amplified: 

'I have learned to be content [ and self-sufficient through Christ, satisfied to the point where I am not disturbed or uneasy ] regardless of my circumstances. 12 I know how to get along and live humbly [ in difficult times, ], and I also know how to enjoy abundance and live in prosperity. In any and every circumstance I have leaned the secret [ of facing life ], whether well-fed or going hungry, whether having an abundance or being in need. 13 "I can do all things [which He has called me to do] through Him who strengthens and empowers me [to fulfil His purpose--I am self-sufficient in Christ’s sufficiency; I am ready for anything and equal to anything through Him who infuses me with inner strength and confident peace.]  Philippians 4:11-13 

Focus on verse 13 'I am self-sufficient in Christ’s sufficiency;' Paul is  confessing here that he is happy having what Jesus has ordained for him. He knows that Jesus will never desert Him' He knows that He will never let Him down. Wherever he is Jesus is there and, whatever He has, Jesus has given to Him and Paul was happy to accept all of this. Can we say the same? Within a church, there are many well-off people, some more wealthier than others. They may have made the right choices or life has been good to them. However, at the end of their life, they cannot take this wealth with them, and they may not have this in heaven, whereas, you may be wealthy there. Life can be like swings and roundabouts. Some  have, others haven't. But what does it matter, as long as we are content in what we have then God will bless us. Let's just be grateful.

If you don't know Jesus or, have fallen away, why not say this prayer right now:
Lord Jesus, I have sinned   
I ask you to forgive me and be my Lord and Saviour. Please come into my heart, fill me with Your Spirit and give me a brand new start today.

In Jesus' Name. Amen'

Copyright 2024 Grahame Howard.                                

dailylifewithjesusbygrahamehoward.blogspot.com  

If you would like to contact me, grahame.howard@hotmail.co.uk

Member of the National Association of Christian Ministers

Why not order my Daily Commentary from Amazon - Paperback or Kindle 

Check it out







No comments:

Post a Comment

Leave a message

Covetousness

" Let your  conduct  be  without covetousness;  be  content with such things as you have. For He Himself has said,  “I will never leave...