Tuesday 25 June 2019

It's your fault, not mine

If you're reading this in an email, scroll down to the very last link and click the link to view in your browser

"9 Then the LORD God called to Adam and said to him, 'Where are you?' 10 So he said, 'I heard Your voice in the garden and I was afraid because I was naked; and I hid myself.' 11 And He said, 'Who told you that you were naked? Have you eaten from the tree of which I commanded you that you should not eat?' 12 Then the man said, 'The woman who You gave to be with me, she gave me of the tree and I ate.' 13 And the LORD said to the woman, 'What is this you have done?' The woman said, 'The serpent deceived me and I ate.'
                                                                                                       Genesis 3:9-13. NKJV

What a catalogue of blame. Adam blaming God and then the woman and the woman blaming the serpent. No one willing to take the responsibility and own up to their failings.
Blame really is the ability to put the responsibility of something onto another person instead of owning up to the problem and putting it right.

Here we clearly see that that the serpent tricked Eve into eating the forbidden fruit. But let's not forget, Adam was standing right there with her. He should have stopped her right there and then. But he allowed her to do what God had said not to do, and he as well, ate the fruit. 

When God asked Adam if he had eaten from the tree, he didn't even admit that he had done this. He blamed firstly Eve, but then he quickly went on to tell God that He had given him the woman in the first place. 'You gave her to me, God, really it was your fault'.  How impertinent was that?

This reminds me of a man who would not accept an invitation to go to church, no matter how hard anyone tried. When finally asked why not, he replied, 'Because my mum forced me to get up early on a Sunday morning, have a bath, put on my best clothes and then go to Sunday school. When I became older, I said that no-one, including my mum, would ever force me to go to church ever again. Really, it's understandable when we first hear this story, but the sad thing is, he is blaming his mum for this. This blame stops him from taking the responsibly for himself and deciding whether to go or not.

We could all come up with similar things that have happened to us- things where we blame someone else for what happened, and this prevents us from moving forward. Young people may have been taught to steal at a younger age by some other child. This may have developed into adulthood and the person may be saying, 'It wasn't my fault. It was so and so who taught me and made me do it.' But, he could have changed this if he had taken the responsibility.

We need to wise up and stop passing the buck. We need to take responsibly for our actions and determine that whatever has happened to us in life, it doesn't have to be a part of us any longer. You can say, 'I pass this over to God. He is great at taking my cares.'

Have you been blaming someone for something that has happened to you? Isn't it time to let it go; to take the responsibility that, whatever has happened, it will not stop me from moving forward with God.

Copyright 2019 Grahame Howard 

dailylifewithjesus@protonmail.com




No comments:

Post a Comment

Leave a message

Stop being hasty

Better is the poor who walks in his integrity t han one who is perverse in his lips, and is a fool. And he sins who hastens with his feet.  ...