Tuesday 22 October 2019

If you've got it, use it

"Let the word of Christ dwell in you richly in all wisdom, teaching and admonishing one another in psalms and hymns and spiritual songs, singing with grace in your hearts to the Lord."
                                                                                                               Colossians 3:16.  NKJV

Are you burying a gift that God has given you, just because you don't know what to do with it or where to go? You'll know without doubt if it is a gift from God from the simple fact that it just won't go away. It may be singing, playing an instrument, preaching the word, evangelism. I'm not talking of things such as serving within the church, although, that is much needed and an honour to work with. No, I'm talking of the more scarier bits, getting up before a crowd and speaking about Jesus, knocking on people's doors and spreading the word or playing in a worship band.

God has given each of us gifting, and for some, it may be being at the helm of things, forging the way ahead. It may be that you are called to run a bible study group, or a home group. You may have a gifting of prayer and you may be being led to run a prayer group or be an intercessor. If it is any of these things, at this moment, you will know and you may now be feeling inadequate. But let me encourage you. Moses felt just the same, 'O my Lord, I am not eloquent, neither before nor since You have spoken to Your servant; but I am slow of speech and slow of tongue' (Exodus 4:10).

Mose wriggled like a fish on a hook and came up with every excuse in the book, but note one thing, God still had His way and He will with you too. If God has a job for you to do, He will accomplish it. You may say, 'Yes, but where can I preach?' Well if you're willing, God will find the venue, He will make a way. Anyway, there's always the street corner or the centre of town. 'What? AAARGH, you're joking.' No I'm not, many have done it and are still doing it. It's scary, yes, but exciting too.

What about evangelism? You don't need a stage or a church for this. You can tell your work mate about Jesus or your neighbour. People have problems and many times they want to talk and share their problems. I once spoke to a lady who was going through a broken marriage. She was breaking her heart and asked me what could I do; could I change it? I replied that I couldn't change it, but I knew a man that could. With that I gave her a Gideon's New Testament. That was back in 1994. She is now back in her marriage and going on strong for Jesus. It's just being open to the Holy Spirit.

Some of you may be feeling awkward right now because you know that God is calling you to do a particular thing. If that is the case, just say, 'Ok Lord, I'll do it,' and leave Him to figure out just how this will happen. But be ready, because He will take you up on it. 

If you're feeling excited but a little scary at this moment, I think God may be speaking directly to you. Get alone with Him; speak to Him and seek the way forward. Then be prepared to be excited even more!

Copyright 2019 Grahame Howard

dailylifewithjesus@protonmail.com
















No comments:

Post a Comment

Leave a message

Stop being hasty

Better is the poor who walks in his integrity t han one who is perverse in his lips, and is a fool. And he sins who hastens with his feet.  ...