Monday 21 October 2019

Follow Me

"Then Jesus said to them, 'Follow Me, and I will make you become fishers of men.'
                                                                                                                        Mark 1:17.  NKJV

It's a lovely day today as I walk along the sandy shore, with no one else in sight. The sun is shining, birds are calling and there seems to be a great peace gathering all around the place. Suddenly, I can see two men fishing. They're throwing their nets into a quite lively surf. They don't seem to be having much joy by the sound of their irate voices. Hold on, there's someone else there too. He's speaking to them. I can't hear properly, what with the sounds of the waves, so I'll have to get closer. 

'Follow Me,' the man says, 'and I will make you become fishers of men.' Fishers of men, what the heck is He on about? They'll give Him a piece of their minds, surely. But, no, they throw their nets down on the beach and walk after Him. I've seen this chap in town, Jesus is His name, I think. He looks a nice bloke; very piercing eyes that seem to look straight through you, examining just what you are about. He looks at me and just for a moment, I feel He's going to say the same thing to me. But, I can't hold His stare, I feel so embarrassed and strangely guilty of something, I don't know what. I look away and when I look back, they're about fifty yards away.

I can't help it, I hurry after them and within a few moments, they stop and speak to two men who are in a boat, mending their nets. I've been told that these nets soon get worn and torn by the great catches of fish that they hold. It's understandable that they need some tender loving care at certain times.
Hold on, Jesus is talking to them. He calls to them as well, and blow me down, they follow Him too, leaving the nets, the boat and someone else who I've not seen before.

What on earth does He mean, 'Fishers of men? How can a man be caught? Although, I must admit, I feel hooked if you'll pardon the pun. Jesus looks my way again, but I start throwing stones into the sea, pretending I haven't seen Him. But I have, and I can't help myself. Whether it's His eyes, His voice or the way He speaks with people, so gentle but with authority, I don't know. But whatever it is, I need it, I've just got to follow Him. 

It's no good, I've just got to walk after them - Him. If I'm a fish, I've been caught. Well, you know what I mean. I'm a man but he has caught me, just like a fish. 
He's up ahead now. I can't hear Him but I can see Him, talking away to them. I've got a strange feeling in my heart. I've had backache for a long time now, but all of a sudden it's gone; and the depression that I had been under for a few months has lifted, I feel happy and joyful and somehow different. Could this be because of Jesus. I'm going to follow him and find out.

Copyright 2019 Grahame Howard

dailylifewithjesus@protonmail.com












No comments:

Post a Comment

Leave a message

Stop being hasty

Better is the poor who walks in his integrity t han one who is perverse in his lips, and is a fool. And he sins who hastens with his feet.  ...