Sunday 20 October 2019

A Scenario of Selfish ambition

"(3) Don't be selfish; don't try to impress others. Be humble, thinking of others as better than yourselves. (4) Don't look out only for your own interests, but take an interest in others too.'
                                                                                                Philippians 2:3-4.  NLT

'I'm not doing that. Why should I? He doesn't look to my interests, he's just full of his own puffed up pride. Yes, and what's more, he continues to pinch my ideas and make out they're his own. What do you think about that Lord? It's not fair is it? Do you know something Lord, he would never have thought about that if I hadn't have told him in the first place. I should have kept my mouth shut. He always pinches my ideas. It's not cricket, it really isn't you know Lord. Why should I feel pleased for him that he's been successful? Yes been successful, but with my flipping ideas. It's just not right.'

'Every time he rings me, which isn't often - once in a blue moon I suppose; but when he does, it's only because he wants to run something by me. Run something by me; pick my brains Lord, that's what he means. And then he'll go and do it and make out it was his idea and how wonderful he is. It's not right Lord, is it?

'Oh look, there he is telling everyone in the church about his new project. It'll only last five minutes - a one hit wonder, I say. If I'd have done it, it would have been super successful. I just didn't want to be seen to think more of myself Lord, to make myself look wonderful. I like to keep a back seat, you know that. I'll let him make a fool of himself, because he will you know. Why? Because it was my idea in the first place Lord, you know that. If he doesn't come to me for further advice, he will fall flat on his face' just watch, it won't be long. It's a one hit wonder until the next thing takes him over, and he runs off to launch that. That will be my idea as well, just watch lord. I bet you.'

'I'm glad I'm not like him Lord. Chasing his tail around all day long, trying to look good in front of everyone. No, I'm glad that I've got things together; that I've nothing to prove. It must be awful to be like him, trying to prove himself all the time. Poor man. He'll learn Lord, won't he? Why can't he just be like me Lord, just a good Christian man? I feel sorry for him.

'What's that Lord? Did You say something?

'Yes, I did. I think you and I need to have a very serious talk, don't you. I think there are some changes that need to be made. Now sit and listen to me.'

Copyright 2019 Grahame Howard

dailylifewithjesus@protonmail.com



No comments:

Post a Comment

Leave a message

Stop being hasty

Better is the poor who walks in his integrity t han one who is perverse in his lips, and is a fool. And he sins who hastens with his feet.  ...