Saturday 30 May 2020

Psalm 139 - Final part

"(23)Search me, O God, and know my heart; try me and know my anxieties; (24) and see if there is any wicked way in me, and lead me in the way everlasting."
                                                                                 Psalm 139:23-24.  NKJV

Check out Psalm 139:17-18; David writes: 'How precious also are Your thoughts to Me, O God! How great is the sum of them! (18) If I should count them, they would be more in number than the sand; when I awake, I am still with You.' God thinks about us - always. Have you ever picked up a handful of sand and as it flows through your hand, tried to count the grains of sand. It's impossible. Imagine how many grains of sand there are to a beach. Impossible to count, yet David says that God's thoughts towards us outnumber these. That's a lot of thoughts. He therefore, thinks about you and I continually. Amazing. This is how He knows us so well. He knows each one of us better than we know ourselves. He knows when we're happy and when we're sad; when we're afraid  and when we're anxious. So why don't we go to Him sooner when we have problems  that are weighing us down?

David was a soldier, probably the equivalent of today's Special Forces. He was a true veteran. Therefore, he struggled with people at times; people who were rude about God. He wanted to wipe them out. He was a king, but also a human being who had been through the hardest of battles. Ex-soldiers often need de-programming when they finish their service. However, God was gracious to David, as He is with us. David had rough edges and so do we, and they take time to be healed and changed.

This is probably why David wrote our text verses V23 & 24; 'Search me, O God, and know my heart; try me and know my anxieties; and see if there is any wicked way in me, and lead me in the way everlasting.' Many people over the years have used these verses as a prayer, asking God to reveal to them areas that need changing. However, be warned, this is a very risky prayer to pray, God will take you up on it, so you need to be prepared for the fact that He may reveal things He is not happy with; there may be painful areas to repent of and there may be much heart-searching.

I say this, as we can so easily rush into praying things before we have considered that there may be a cost to what we pray. With this prayer, I can assure you, there will be; but it will be a positive step. God will be gentle, as the Holy Spirit reveals issues that we need to address. But it will be worth it.

Are you ready and willing to pray this? If you are, fasten your seat belt, put on your armour and let's go:

'Lord Jesus, search me, O God, and know my heart; try me and know my anxieties; and see if there is any wicked way in me, and lead me in the way everlasting. Amen

Copyright 2020 Grahame Howard












No comments:

Post a Comment

Leave a message

Stop being hasty

Better is the poor who walks in his integrity t han one who is perverse in his lips, and is a fool. And he sins who hastens with his feet.  ...