Thursday 25 June 2020

Growth

"but grow in the grace and knowledge of our Lord and Saviour, Jesus Christ"

                                                                                                                2 Peter 3:18.  NKJV

Some time ago, as I was going to a wedding, my wife encouraged me to try on my suit in order to check it still fitted. I hadn't worn it for some time and I had been on a diet too. As I did this, I had a total shock. My trousers fell down to my ankles and wouldn't stay up even wearing a belt. To wear braces, I looked like one of those clowns from a circus. Madness. The jacket was so big, we both could have fitted into it. It was obvious, I either had to put on two stone in a week or get a new suit. I decided on the suit.

Growth in the spiritual world and this world are opposites. To lose weight in this world, done sensibly, is healthy. To lose weight in the spiritual world, is bad news. Let me explain, where it is much needed for us to have a healthy weight and take care of ourselves fitness wise; it is unwise to neglect our spiritual life by not reading and studying our bibles. When we neglect this, we're losing weight - spiritual weight. Spiritual growth encompasses spiritual, mental and emotional development. By daily reading our bibles and studying what God has to say to us, we're helping to renew our mind as well as know more about Him.

People go to the gym to exercise; they may also go jogging and swimming. What they're doing is good, exercise is beneficial to our body, health and mind. Alternatively, people may go to church or some other place of worship where they can gain wisdom, knowledge and direction from God. Both of these are vitally important to us; but a balance has to be struck. As a Christian, we so need Jesus - we can't make it without Him. Don't make fitness and diet more important than He is. In fact, why not involve Him on your daily jog or power walk? Why not take Him to the gym? What I'm saying is, don't leave Him out of this time. You need Him; you can't make it without Him. He is vital to your very existence.

Therefore, grow in grace - not in weight. Lose weight sensibly, but don't lose Jesus, Spiritual growth is important.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Leave a message

Stop being hasty

Better is the poor who walks in his integrity t han one who is perverse in his lips, and is a fool. And he sins who hastens with his feet.  ...