Monday 31 August 2020

Paradise

"Then Jews from Antioch and Iconium came there and having persuaded the multitudes, they stoned Paul and dragged him out of the city supposing him dead. (20) However, when the disciples gathered around him, he rose up and went into the city. And the next day, he departed with Barnabas to Derbe."
                                                                                                                   Acts 14:19-20.  NKJV

Paul and Barnabas had been on a preaching assignment and in Lystra, encountered strong opposition. The Jews there had been stirring up the people against them and eventually, they stoned Paul and left him for dead. But God wasn't finished with Paul and he led the disciples to gather around him and pray. The result was, he rose up and went back into the city.

Many scholars believe that Paul was describing this near-death experience in 2 Corinthians 12:2-5. They believe he was raised from the dead. At the very least, he was miraculously healed.

Paul's account in 2 Corinthians 12:2-5, gives a startling account of a man he knows (himself) who was caught up into the third heaven (Paradise). He finds it difficult to explain the experience, stating that he may have been in the body or out of it (v3). What he does know was that he heard 'inexpressible words', and the whole experience was life-changing for him. This is the time that Jesus told him, 'My grace is sufficient for you, for My strength is made perfect in weakness'. (v9). 

I tend to believe Paul's experience in Paradise because I had a similar experience back in 1996. My wife and I, were listening to a worship CD when all of a sudden, I found myself at the back of a great hall. In front of me, were what looked like angels and they were bowing down and standing back up, over and over again. The music was amazing, better than I had ever heard. At the opposite end of the hall, was a very large figure clad in dazzling white clothing, and the angels were worshipping Him. I knew this was God. 
Before this happened, I had been quite worried, because I had been on two weeks leave and the next morning I was due back at the busy social work office I worked at, and I knew my work tray would be packed full of work, stamped urgent. The very next moment, I was in my office and this very tall man beside me, picked up my tray and said, 'My what a lot of work we have here.' I felt that the work was nothing, because He would help me. I felt so relaxed, a really wonderful feeling.

The next moment, I was back with my wife and the same worship song was playing. Rather like Paul, I wondered what had happened, had I dreamt it, did it happen? Deep down I knew that It had and I knew that, His grace was all I needed for anything. He would give me the strength, if I trusted Him. And He did, when I arrived at work the next day, my work tray was full of very simple tasks which took no time at all to complete and I had a happy return to work.

Realise this, whatever you are facing at this time is nothing when God is around. He will take care of it for you. All you need is His grace which will strengthen you. And that is on free offer all the time.















No comments:

Post a Comment

Leave a message

Stop being hasty

Better is the poor who walks in his integrity t han one who is perverse in his lips, and is a fool. And he sins who hastens with his feet.  ...