Monday 11 January 2021

'I do not have a price tag - I belong to Jesus'

"'I will give it all to you if you will worship me.' (8) Jesus replied, 'The scriptures say, You must worship the LORD your God and serve Him only.'                        Luke 4:7-8   NLT 

Over the years, people have gone overboard in their desires to have what they want - NOW! One only has to look around and you will see people who will go into deep debt, in order to have better than their friends or neighbours have. There is a deep envy and jealousy that appears to take over at times, whatever the cost. The example of Jacob and Esau tells us the perils of this type of thing:

(29) 'Now Jacob cooked a stew and Esau came in from the field, and he was weary. (30) And Esau said to Jacob, "Please feed me with that same red stew, for I am weary." Therefore, his name was called Edom (red).   (31) But Jacob said, "Sell me your birthright as of this day." (32) And Esau said, "Look I am about to die; so what is this birthright to me?" (33) Then Jacob said, "Swear to me as of this day". So he swore to him and sold his birthright to Jacob. (34) And Jacob gave Esau bread and stew of lentils; then he ate and drank, arose and went his way.' 

Esau was ravenous after being out in the fields all day and smelling this delicious food, he wanted some at that moment. One would have thought that Jacob would have given some to his brother, but he was more crafty and ruthless than that. He offered to sell him some - for his birthright, which was permissible around the area of Haran at that time. Esau, having little respect for this, agreed and paid a great price. This example shows us the peril of wanting something there and then and not being in control of ourselves. Some people will be so tempted by what they want, that they will cross that line and then, lose everything. 

The devil tried this with Jesus, believing that after 40 days and nights in the wilderness, He would be cold, weary and very hungry. He would be at His lowest, he thought. The devil offered Jesus, honour, power, status and success if He would only submit to Him. However, Jesus came right back at him with the Word of God. One paraphrase of what Jesus said reads, 'No offer of success and power is enough to shift My loyalty from God. I do not have a price tag. Even if I go to waste in the dust, I will bow My knee before Him alone. He will defend Me and reward Me - even unto death.' (Words of Jesus, Christian Art Publishers 2015).

Do not be tempted to cut corners in order to get what you want. Do not be tempted to give in to things that you will regret when you're caught out - and you will be. Do not sacrifice what Jesus paid for you on the cross. Nothing, absolutely nothing, is worth giving up your birthright as Esau did.

The devil will tempt you with your weaknesses, he knows what they are. So keep your wits about you and have your armour on at all times. The devil is out to discredit you; it may be through a bowl of stew or by swapping your allegiance from Jesus to something or someone who has hoodwinked you. Be careful and remember you were redeemed (paid for) at a great price and no matter what, you are not for sale.

Copyriight 2020 Grahame Howard

*If you would like to contact me, then please send me an email😄








No comments:

Post a Comment

Leave a message

Grace

" Then Paul stood up, and motioning with  his  hand said, “Men of Israel, and you who fear God, listen:   17  The God of this people  I...