Monday 20 December 2021

What can I give Him?

"Then the angel said to her, 'Do not be afraid Mary, for you have found favour with God. 31 And behold you will conceive in your womb and bring forth a Son, and shall call His name Jesus."                                                                           Luke 1:30-31     NKJV


In the lead up to Christmas Day, the day we celebrate Jesus' birthday and birth, we will look at five carols. Today we will look at 'In the bleak mid-winter'.
One of the verses contained in this beautiful Christmas carol originally written by Gustav Holst to a poem by Christina Rossetti, reads like this:

'What can I give Him, poor as I am? If I were a shepherd, I would bring a lamb;
If I were a wise man I would do my part, Yet what can I give Him, - give my heart.

This just about sums it all up; what can we give Jesus? It is not possible to buy Him a birthday present like we would for someone else. There is nothing we could give Him even if we wanted to. This appears to be the frustration by Christina Rossetti as she writes. However, her love for Jesus shines through in these words and she concludes that she can give Him her heart.

The Angel Gabriel came to Mary and announced the good , yet startling news, that she would give birth to Jesus - the King of kings; and Jesus was born in the most humble of settings - in a manger in Bethlehem. Yet, Jesus is fully God and offers to us, a life that would never have been possible if He hadn't have been born. This is eternal life.

You can have the world's wealth but Jesus is not interested in this. What He is interested in, is your heart and the state of it. There is nothing you can do to buy yourself His interest. He is interested only in you coming to Him and giving your heart to Him. One day soon, this world will come to an end and by the state it's in at the present, this may not be long. He can come in the blink of an eye. When he does, please ensure that you are ready and belong to Him.
Why not do this now:

Lord Jesus, I come to You and ask that you will come and live in my heart; in fact, I give You my heart right now. Please forgive all of my sin, fill me with Your Holy Spirit, and please be my Lord and Saviour. I ask in Jesus' name. Amen

Copyright 2021 Grahame Howard.                                 
Member of the National Association of Christian Ministers
Why not order my Daily Commentary from Amazon - Paperback or Kindle 







No comments:

Post a Comment

Leave a message

Stop being hasty

Better is the poor who walks in his integrity t han one who is perverse in his lips, and is a fool. And he sins who hastens with his feet.  ...