Tuesday 21 December 2021

I will be with you, always

"And I will pray the Father and He will give you another Helper, that He may abide with you - 17 the Spirit of Truth, whom the world cannot receive , because it neither sees Him nor knows Him; but you know Him for Her dwells with you and will be in you. 18 I will not leave you orphans; I will come to you."                                  John 14:16-18     NKJV

The following Christmas carol was written by Sir David Willcocks and WJ Kirkpatrick. Again, I want us to look at a section of it as below:

'I love You, Lord Jesus, look down from the sky
And stay by my side until morning is nigh
Be near me, Lord Jesus, I ask You to stay
Close by me forever and love me I pray'

This reminds me very much of our scripture today. As believers, we have a promise from Jesus Himself informing us that He will not leave us as orphans but will come to us. Here He was discussing with His disciples, the events that would be taking place very soon. This has three interpretations (1) His Resurrection; He would die on the cross but, would rise again and be with them, albeit, on a temporary basis. (2) Pentecost, The Holy Spirit would come-on them all while they were in the upper room praying and fellowshipping. (3) The Second Coming, Jesus will never abandon us, He is in heaven now but will return when the Father tells Him, to claim us, His church.

Until then, He has left us the Holy Spirit - our helper, comforter, advocate, intercessor, counsellor and strengthener. We are not alone. He is near us and in us; He will never leave us (Hebrews 13:5). The Father has left Him with us because He love us. He tells us how much in John 17:23:

' I in them and You in Me, that they may be made perfect in one, and that the world may know that, You have sent Me, and have loved them as You have loved Me'

This is a mind-blowing verse and describes just how much the Father loves each one of us and how much Jesus is committed to us. When we sing this carol, we have the assurance that He will stay by our side and He will be close to us forever, loving us. What an amazing love He has for us.

If you don't know Jesus today, why not say this prayer of commitment. If you know of someone who is not 'saved', then why not forward this to them:

Jesus, thank you for Your love and comfort. I ask You to come and live in my life today and be My Lord and Saviour. Forgive me for every sin that I have committed and fill me with Your Holy Spirit, right now. I ask in Jesus' name. Amen

Copyright 2021 Grahame Howard.                                 
Member of the National Association of Christian Ministers
Why not order my Daily Commentary from Amazon - Paperback or Kindle 








No comments:

Post a Comment

Leave a message

Stop being hasty

Better is the poor who walks in his integrity t han one who is perverse in his lips, and is a fool. And he sins who hastens with his feet.  ...