Sunday 8 May 2022

Be a giver

"Not that I seek the gift but I seek the fruit that abounds to your account"   
                                                                                    Philippians 4:10-20  NKJV 


The subject of giving can be a contentious subject. Even from the beginning of time it has been this way. We tend to savour the thought of someone giving a gift to ourselves, but when we are the actual giver, it can be a different story.

Paul saw the value but his desire was for the giver to be blessed, not himself. He writes in verse 17, 'Not that I seek the gift, but I seek the fruit that abounds to your account.' Paul knew what it was like to have nothing and also, he knew what it was like to abound v11-12. He was content, 'he could do all things through Christ who strengthened him' v13.

Paul trusted God for his needs; he was a part time tent-maker but, because of all his travels, this was not always easy to do. He needed funds, just the same as any Christian worker needs today. He also knew that he could never out give God; when we give to a God directed work, He will always bless us in return but, not always with funds. 

I remember a few years back, I had bought myself a new calfskin leather bible. I loved it and carried it around for the first couple of days as if it was a block of gold. During a service that weekend, God pointed out a man who I had led to Him recently. God said to me, 'Give him your new bible.' I was shocked and refused point blank to do this. For the rest of the service God kept saying the same thing over and again; and then He changed His words, 'Look at  him, the poor chap hasn't got a bible.' That was it, I gave in and gave the man my brand new bible. Since that day, I now have an abundance of bibles - when I give one away, God replaces it quite quickly.

I blessed this man so God blessed me. People blessed Paul and God blessed the people filling up their heavenly account. It is true, we cannot out give God as I have said, and when we realise and accept that it is His money in the first place, as we continue to give, He'll give to us -

'And my God shall supply all your need according to His riches in glory by Christ Jesus' v19

There's no need to worry about having enough to live on. God is in charge. You just have to learn to trust Him for all you need and also, not be afraid to help someone out, who is less wealthy than yourself.

Copyright 2022 Grahame Howard.                                

dailylifewithjesusbygrahamehoward.blogspot.com          

If you would like to contact me, CLICK HERE

Member of the National Association of Christian Ministers

Why not order my Daily Commentary from Amazon - Paperback or Kindle 

Check it out

 https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B084G9S4FD/ref=dbs_a_def_rwt_bibl_vppi_i2













No comments:

Post a Comment

Leave a message

Grace

" Then Paul stood up, and motioning with  his  hand said, “Men of Israel, and you who fear God, listen:   17  The God of this people  I...