Friday 28 April 2023

Watch the Rust!

"Do not lay up for yourselves treasures on earth, where moth and rust destroy and where thieves break in and steal".         Matthew 6:19   NKJV

Rust is the red oxide of iron which is formed by corrosion of that metal. Acidic substances, which includes water, come into contact with metals such as steel or iron and rust begins to form. When this happens, structures or tools are not safe because they have been weakened by the rust itself. Unless, early action is taken, rust can eat through the material rendering it useless.
Now put all of this into a Christian form; rust signifies old outdated attitudes. We may have to reconsider spiritually, ideas that are harmful before we can make progress. Otherwise, corrosion can form from our own spiritual lives. 
Let me explain, when I was a young boy, I wasn't allowed to go out and play football or cricket on a Sunday. Friends would knock on the door and ask if I was 'coming out to play' and even if I begged my dad, I was not allowed out on the 'Sabbath'. The only way I was allowed out, was if I went with him to visit my Aunt, a long bus ride a way. Even then, although I was young, I could see the hypocrisy in this but I kept this to myself. But I noted that if, God was like this, I didn't want to know. It led to me hating Sundays. Even into my teen years and early twenties, I still suffered the injustice of it all. In my opinion, not being allowed out to play with my friends on a Sunday, was an outdated attitude and I vowed that I would never enforce this upon my own children when I was married. Going to church and family times should be encouraged though.

There are many outdated traditions that are still being used today. Some people, not many I know, will not cook, clean or do any particular thing on a Sunday. It is the Sabbath - a day of rest, we hear. However, many people have to work on a Sunday because, their job demands it, such as the police, fireman, bus drivers, paramedics etc. etc. But the old attitudes and traditions bring human judgement on these things and can give the people doing this, a major guilt trip.
I am not saying that the bible needs to be updated - not at all. Jesus Christ is the same Yesterday, Today and Forever (Hebrews 13:8), and what is in the bible should remain and not be changed to give it a more modern outlook. Some people are trying to do this - rewrite the bible to satisfy their own thoughts. Let us pray this never happens. Perhaps what needs changing is some of our attitudes and traditions such as I have mentioned. 

We, have to avoid the old attitudes towards 'Religion'. This is what they are 'Attitudes and Traditions'. Jesus does not promote this type of thing. He promotes, love and peace. Old traditions and attitudes are like rust, they cause corrosion and weaken a person's chance of faith. Let’s be aware of heavy traditions and attitudes and promote the whole Gospel in it's truth

Copyright 2023 Grahame Howard.                                

dailylifewithjesusbygrahamehoward.blogspot.com  

If you would like to contact me, CLICK HERE

Member of the National Association of Christian Ministers

Why not order my Daily Commentary from Amazon - Paperback or Kindle 

Check it out

 https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B084G9S4FD/ref=dbs_a_def_rwt_bibl_vppi_i2











  


 






                                               











No comments:

Post a Comment

Leave a message

Stop being hasty

Better is the poor who walks in his integrity t han one who is perverse in his lips, and is a fool. And he sins who hastens with his feet.  ...