Sunday 22 October 2023

Stop trying to be God. Part 3

"You are a hindrance to Me because you're not thinking about God's concerns, but human concerns."    Matthew 16:23   CSB

You can't help feeling sorry for Peter. Let's face it, he meant well and I believe Jesus knew this. But his lack of knowledge and wisdom, let him down. He had been promised promotion by Jesus and he wanted to live up to this. But because of his excitement and readiness to please, he was too hasty. Jesus was not about to deviate from His purpose on earth and he still won't today. Like Peter, if you do wrong, He will rebuke you and you will know it in your spirit too. It's almost like God has left you. He hasn't and, never will as He promised (Hebrews 13:5), but you will feel an emptiness and an overwhelming feeling of guilt.

When I was pastoring, I had a similar experience. A chap who began coming to the church and attending the day centre, where we supplied food, clothing and help to people who were homeless or, down on their luck,  came to me one day and informed me that God, had told him to be my guardian angel and so he would establish himself as my bodyguard. He was ex-army and told everyone that he had been in the SAS. I was taken aback at first but quickly told him that I didn't need a bodyguard. Jesus filled this role for me. However, he was adamant and followed me everywhere. He even tried to taste my coffee one day, I suppose to see if it was poisoned. No matter what I said, he was always around peering around corners to check I was ok. His favourite saying was, 'If anyone tries to hurt you, they will be face down in the lake.' As amusing as this sounded, I had to be firm with him because, He was trying to take on the role of God in my life. It worked for a while but he was still within watching distance.

With regards to Peter, had he become too familiar with Jesus? It is hard to tell; they were together daily and it is just possible that he thought that he also needed to be Jesus' guardian angel.
Unlike Peter, we do not have the physical presence of Jesus around us but, we still have to be careful that we don't take Him for granted. He deserves our respect and honour. He is not a Santa Claus figure who brightens our days with glorious gifts. He is our friend but, He is also God and we need to remember this fact. We have to get this right. 

In closing this study on Peter, ask yourself this question: 'In what way, am I an hindrance to Jesus. Are there times when I am a stumbling block? Do some soul-searching. There may be things that you need to change.

I never like to end without giving someone the opportunity to ask Jesus into their life, or, re-dedicate their life. If that is you, pray this prayer and please let me know:

Lord Jesus, I have sinned and I ask you to forgive me and be my Lord and Saviour. Please come into my heart, fill me with Your Spirit and give me a brand new start today.

In Jesus' Name. Amen


Copyright 2023 Grahame Howard.                                 

dailylifewithjesusbygrahamehoward.blogspot.com          

If you would like to contact me, CLICK HERE

Member of the National Association of Christian Ministers

Why not order my Daily Commentary from Amazon - Paperback or Kindle  

Check it out

 https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B084G9S4FD/ref=dbs_a_def_rwt_bibl_vppi_i2



















 



 










No comments:

Post a Comment

Leave a message

Grace

" Then Paul stood up, and motioning with  his  hand said, “Men of Israel, and you who fear God, listen:   17  The God of this people  I...