Saturday 4 November 2023

Holy Communion - The Lord's Supper

"But let a man examine himself, and so let him eat of the bread and drink of the cup. 29 For he who eats and drinks in an unworthy manner, eats and drinks judgement to himself, not discerning the Lord's body."   1 Corinthians 11:28-29   NKJV 

Taking Communion in church or in someone's home, is a special, yet sacred occasion. Jesus actually commanded that we, as believers, do this as often as we can. We eat the bread as the broken body of Jesus, remembering His sacrifice for us on the cross. Again, we drink the wine, as His blood that was shed on the cross. It is a serious thing and one that should not be taken lightly. We need to examine ourselves before we participate in Communion. In other words, we need to confess our sin beforehand and empty ourselves of any unwholesome thoughts. To fail to do this, can bring judgement upon ourselves because we have taken part in this meal in an unworthy manner.

Warren W Wiersbe comments: "The Corinthians neglected to examine themselves, but they were experts at examining everybody else. When the church gathers together, we must be careful not to become 'religious detectives' who watch others while failing to acknowledge our own sins. If we eat and drink in an unworthy manner, we eat and drink judgement to ourselves, and that is nothing to take lightly."
                                                             The Wiersbe Study Bible, Thomas Nelson Publishers

This is so important. At times, we all look around a church and wonder why 'him' or 'her' are in the church, especially taking communion. 'If the church knew what I've been told about them, they wouldn't be in here.' Just stop right there; if you are thinking this way, perhaps you shouldn't be in the church. Neither of us have the right to judge anyone else; and as for what you may have heard about someone, this is gossip and you should have nothing to do with this - at all.

There are times when a person should not take Communion. Again, Warren W Wiersbe comments: "No one ought to come to Communion who is not a true believer. Nor should a true believer come to Communion if his heart is not right with God or fellow Christians.This is why many churches have a time of spiritual preparation before they observe the Lord's Supper, lest any of the participants bring chastening on themselves."

I remember when I was a young Christian and I refused to take Communion because someone had wronged me within the church. I had a big problem against him. An elder kept trying to get me to take it and wouldn't listen to the way I felt. However, I stood my ground and didn't participate in this. I sorted this problem out later on. We have to be careful about taking Communion when we have a problem with another person. It only brings judgement on ourselves.

If you are not born again, here below is a prayer of salvation:
'Lord Jesus, I have sinned and I ask you to forgive me and be my Lord and Saviour. Please come into my heart, fill me with Your Spirit and give me a brand new start today.

In Jesus' Name. Amen'

Copyright 2023 Grahame Howard.                                 

dailylifewithjesusbygrahamehoward.blogspot.com          

If you would like to contact me, CLICK HERE

Member of the National Association of Christian Ministers

Why not order my Daily Commentary from Amazon - Paperback or Kindle  

Check it out

 https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B084G9S4FD/ref=dbs_a_def_rwt_bibl_vppi_i2



















 



 















No comments:

Post a Comment

Leave a message

Grace

" Then Paul stood up, and motioning with  his  hand said, “Men of Israel, and you who fear God, listen:   17  The God of this people  I...