Thursday 21 December 2023

A Lost Sheep

"If a man has a hundred sheep and one of them gets lost, what will he do? Won't he leave the ninety-nine others in the wilderness and go to search for the one that is lost until he finds it?"              Luke 15:4   NLT (of 1-7)

There are two pieces that I want to address here. Firstly, the Pharisees' lack of interest in people who don't fit into their expectations. And then, Jesus' feelings for the lost sheep. In each example, I have given place for how the people may feel:
(1)  The Pharisees avoided all areas and people where they may become unclean. Therefore, to be mixing with tax collectors and notorious sinners was unthinkable. They felt Jesus was wrong to do such things, therefore Jesus told them this parable. Even today, certain people in society are avoided at all costs - alcoholics, drug users and people off the streets. Whereas, many will walk by them without a second glance, Jesus would be right in the middle of them, listening, talking to them, showing them love and care and offering them a place in heaven. 
(1a)   'I wish I had somewhere to go to be warm. I have a raging thirst and my stomach is totally empty. I need a drink; I need the next fix; I need someone to take an interest in me. I've made mistakes and, now I'm paying for them. I wish I could start again but, that's impossible. I might as well be dead.'
(2)   Another young man hits the streets. He has nowhere go and is frightened, cold and hungry. He considers breaking the law again. At least he would have food and a warm bed. This is all he knows these days.
(2a)  'It seemed a good idea to break away from the others. I had become involved with the 'wrong type of people,' my dad had said and when the police arrested me for burglary, he kicked me out. I went to the YOI for a couple of years, and became more involved with the 'wrong type of people.' When I was released, I went back home but, my dad refused to have me back. So, now I'm on the streets, begging.'

This is happening today. People have made big mistakes and it has cost them all they had. But, there is no way back. 'But, hold on, who is this guy with long hair. He's different to all the others. He shakes my hand and I feel alive; I feel that He really cares. He talks gently to me about making a new start. I tell Him that I want this and He hugs me. Suddenly, I feel so much better. All the shame seems to have left me, and as I walk down the street with Him beside me, all of a sudden, I feel pure; I feel loved, I feel that my life is going to change. He tells me His name is Jesus and introduces me to some other people - Christians. They accept me and I feel elated and so grateful. I have found true love and joy. You could be the person who accepts these people. Are you willing?

If you don't know Jesus or, have fallen away, why not say this prayer right now:

'Lord Jesus, I have sinned and I ask you to forgive me and be my Lord and Saviour. Please come into my heart, fill me with Your Spirit and give me a brand new start today.

In Jesus' Name. Amen'


Copyright 2023 Grahame Howard.                                 

dailylifewithjesusbygrahamehoward.blogspot.com          

If you would like to contact me, CLICK HERE

Member of the National Association of Christian Ministers

Why not order my Daily Commentary from Amazon - Paperback or Kindle  

Check it out

 https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B084G9S4FD/ref=dbs_a_def_rwt_bibl_vppi_i2














































No comments:

Post a Comment

Leave a message

Grace

" Then Paul stood up, and motioning with  his  hand said, “Men of Israel, and you who fear God, listen:   17  The God of this people  I...