Saturday 27 January 2024

Warnings and advice

"Master, we have toiled all night and caught nothing, nevertheless, at Your word I will let down the net."     Luke 5:5   NKJV 

After teaching the people by the lakeside, Jesus told Peter to: 'Launch out into the deep and let down your nets for a catch' v4. Now there were a number of things quite questionable with this direction. (1) Jesus was a carpenter not a fisherman; what did He know about fishing? (2) The fishermen had been out all night and caught nothing. (3) It is a well known fact that on the Sea of Galilee, fishing was done at night and in shallow water, not during the day in deep water. (4) What Jesus was asking them all to do was, contrary to their training and experience. Peter however, ignored the argument of logic here and with faith, obeyed Jesus, the result being they had a great catch of fish, so much in fact that the net began to break with the weight.
There is a lesson to learn here. Jesus knows best. To the world, He may have been a carpenter, a baby in a manger or some wonderful Christmas story. But, we are dealing here with the King of kings and the Lord of lords and He knows everything. When Jesus guides, ignore all of your logic, your instincts and your experience and, DO IT!

When I was a young boy, I was often getting into scrapes, climbing up trees and scaling walls. Quite often my mum would shout out, 'If you fall out of that tree and break your leg, don't come running to me.' You've probably heard that phrase from comedians but it is true. I often wondered how I could go running to her if I had broken my leg but, I wasn't brave enough to ask. Even though it was a very strange thing to say to a young boy, she meant well. It was her way of warning me of the perils and advising me to think before I act. This teaching has remained with me all my life.

We need to think through things before we act, especially on big tasks. It is so easy to make some major mistake and regret it for a very long time. This is where Jesus comes in. He tells us to: Seek first the kingdom of God and His righteousness, and all these things shall be added to you"  Matthew 6:33. He doesn't want us worrying at all and, He equally doesn't want us to fall out of a tree and break our legs. He offers us warnings and advice so that we may avoid making wrong choices and getting ourselves into problems. He is with us 24/7 so really, we have no excuse if we rush off without first seeking His advice. 

If you have a big choice to make at this moment, don't rush into it. Seek a trusted friend's opinion but make sure that you get the final answer from Jesus. If you ask Him, He will tell you. If we seek Him, He will show us the way. This is a promise, so ask Him what to do. You'll be glad that you did, that is for sure.

If you don't know Jesus or, have fallen away, why not say this prayer right now:
'Lord Jesus, I have sinned and I ask you to forgive me and be my Lord and Saviour. Please come into my heart, fill me with Your Spirit and give me a brand new start today.

In Jesus' Name. Amen'

Copyright 2024 Grahame Howard.                                 

dailylifewithjesusbygrahamehoward.blogspot.com

Member of the National Association of Christian Ministers

Why not order my Daily Commentary from Amazon - Paperback or Kindle  

Check it out

 https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B084G9S4FD/ref=dbs_a_def_rwt_bibl_vppi_i2


 Contact me grahamehoward@hotmail.com
















No comments:

Post a Comment

Leave a message

Stop being hasty

Better is the poor who walks in his integrity t han one who is perverse in his lips, and is a fool. And he sins who hastens with his feet.  ...