Saturday 29 June 2024

The Tale-Bearer

"He who goes about as a talebearer reveals secrets; therefore do not associate with one who flatters with his lips."  Proverbs 20:19  NKJV

Have you ever heard the term, 'being stabbed in the back'? Well this is what happens when someone comes to us, gains certain information and then, goes out and spreads all that we have told them. These people do not honour confidentiality; all they are interested in is finding the gossip and, probably with their own additions to it, spreading it around to anyone who listens. They can be very skilful in this and will often use a prayer group to spread this news, in the guise of prayer. I like what the CSB version of this verse says: 'The one who reveals secrets, is a constant gossip; avoid someone with a big mouth.' Now if anyone is offended by this, I make no apology, it is not myself who is saying this, it is God.

I've mentioned before an anonymous quotation that reads: For those who speak behind our backs - don't worry! They're behind you for a reason.' This is so true. These type of people will never succeed, they will always be followers and not leaders. So don't let them wind you up.
Saying this though, is not easy, because a tale-bearer can do a lot of damage to your credibility. I once preached somewhere and the feedback that I received was awful. Certain people twisted my words and said that I was not preaching Jesus at all. And yet, I had preached this sermon to a dozen Young Offenders the night before and the whole dozen stood up and gave their lives to Jesus. There are back-stabbers wherever you may go and, this includes within the church. So be careful.

Have you come up against the flatterer yet? These are people who get alongside of you and say lots of nice things about you and your ministry and yet, have another agenda; and that is to gather as much information about a certain thing and then use it against you. If they did this to Jesus, they will do it to you as well. Be wise and learn to discern things such as this. Better still, it is better to do what the scripture above suggests and, not associate with them.

Some people reading this, may feel that it is quite accusatory in context. However, I hold my head up high because, I am only saying what the scripture is saying. The truth hurts at times and some people don't like to hear it. The thing is, if we are not warned of such things, we can easily step on a trap and be falsely accused. 

I think the moral of today's commentary is to, always speak the truth and challenge whatever you feel is wrong - such as gossip. If we nip it in the bud quickly then, it can't spread any further. 

If you don't know Jesus or, have fallen away, why not say this prayer right now:
'Lord Jesus, I have sinned and I ask you to forgive me and be my Lord and Saviour. Please come into my heart, fill me with Your Spirit and give me a brand new start today.

In Jesus' Name. Amen'

Copyright 2024 Grahame Howard.                                

dailylifewithjesusbygrahamehoward.blogspot.com  

If you would like to contact me, grahame.howard@hotmail.co.uk

Member of the National Association of Christian Ministers

Why not order my Daily Commentary from Amazon - Paperback or Kindle 

Check it out


No comments:

Post a Comment

Leave a message

Stop being hasty

Better is the poor who walks in his integrity t han one who is perverse in his lips, and is a fool. And he sins who hastens with his feet.  ...