Monday 19 August 2024

'One thing I know'. Final Part

"He answered and said, 'Whether He is a sinner or not. One thing I know; that though I was blind, now I see."                   John 9:25   NKJV  

Jesus had healed this man on the Sabbath, and the Pharisees did not like this one bit. God would never allow such a thing, they protested. The Pharisees were more concerned with the Jewish law than with the wonderful miracle that had happened to this man. They were full of religionism. Just the fact that this man stood before them able to see, would not move them into believing that Jesus must have something about Him. But no, they thought Him a sinner. This caused a division among the people, 'If He is a sinner  and not from God then how did this happen?'

The Pharisees called for the man;'s parents and asked them if their son had been born blind and, if he had, did they know how he could now see. The parents were frightened of being excommunicated and struggled to find the words to answer them. In the end, they said, 'He is of age; ask him. He will speak of himself.' So they called the man over:
 
'So they again called the man who was blind, and said to him, “Give God the glory! We know that this Man is a sinner.” 25He answered and said, “Whether He is a sinner or not I do not know. One thing I know: that though I was blind, now I see. 26Then they said to him again, “What did He do to you? How did He open your eyes?” 27He answered them, “I told you already, and you did not listen. Why do you want to hear it again? Do you also want to become His disciples?”  John 9:24-27

Unlike his parents, the man made a stand for Jesus by telling them how he had once been blind, but could now see. When they persisted with their questioning, he even asked them if they wanted to follow Jesus too. I believe that he was not being rude here but, he was so overjoyed, he wanted everyone to know what had happened to him. The Pharisees were arrogant - he was humble. Petty quarrels about scripture can take priority over people and this is one thing that the church needs to correct; Jesus is not in these. Jerry Vine writes:

'When questioned by the Pharisees, he finally said "One thing I know; that though I was blind, now I see" (John 9:25) That statement has a great lesson for us. When all other evidence we can marshal to speak a word about Jesus can be met by challenges, one piece of evidence will always stand the scrutiny of the most aggressive critic - our personal experience of grace and the internal transformation that Jesus gives us when we give our lives to Him. This man had a new life. Though he knew little, that little was much! You may not be able to put into correct language what you believe about Jesus, but you can always testify to what Jesus has done for your soul.'                                            Jerry Vines - The Vines Expository Bible

Man may try to take away from you what God has done, or even try to water it down. Many are skeptical and critical; but, stand your ground, God has worked in you, not them and, many don't like it.

If you don't know Jesus or, have fallen away, why not say this prayer right now:
'Lord Jesus, I have sinned and I ask you to forgive me and be my Lord and Saviour. Please come into my heart, fill me with Your Spirit and give me a brand new start today.

In Jesus' Name. Amen'

Copyright 2024 Grahame Howard.                                

dailylifewithjesusbygrahamehoward.blogspot.com  

If you would like to contact me, grahame.howard@hotmail.co.uk

Member of the National Association of Christian Ministers

Why not order my Daily Commentary from Amazon - Paperback or Kindle 

Check it out


No comments:

Post a Comment

Leave a message

Grace

" Then Paul stood up, and motioning with  his  hand said, “Men of Israel, and you who fear God, listen:   17  The God of this people  I...