Wednesday 18 November 2020

The Behind Closed Doors Syndrome - again

"Therefore, I do not run without a definite goal; I do not flail around like one beating the air (just like shadow boxing). 27 But (like a boxer) I strictly discipline my body and make it my slave, so that, after I have preached (the Gospel) to others, I myself will not somehow be disqualified (as unfit for service)."             1Corinthians 9:26-27.  Amplified  Study Bible

I mention in the title, the word, 'again', and this is because it is an area that we need to perfect time and again until we get it right.

Andrew Murray says, 'How many there are who find it easier in church, or in a prayer meeting, or in work for the Lord - diligent, earnest work - to be holy and happy than in daily life with wife (husband) and children; easier to be holy and happy outside the home than in it.'

I call this the 'Behind Closed Doors Syndrome'. Why is this? Possibly when we are at home, we relax, watch TV and feel we can take off our guard and be ourselves. It's possible that this is the real you. The one outside - at church or home group, needs to impress, to keep up with the Jones'. At home, we can hide away. We really shouldn't be this way - acting as if we're two people. Being ourselves is what we should be in the home or out of it. There should be no difference. Look at David, when he should have been out in battles, he was sunbathing on his roof. This was how he noticed Bathsheba, committed adultery with her, made her pregnant and had her husband placed in such a place in battle that he was killed. He then took her as his wife. (Read 2 Samuel 11 for the whole story).
After Nathan the prophet confronted him, he was totally depressed and under conviction. He could do nothing until he repented. Look at our text, he was 'disqualified and unfit for service.'

We need to stop and take a look at ourselves today. Do we do one thing and say another. Do we talk about Jesus being our Saviour and then negate it by being someone different at home - arguing, swearing, shouting at the kids and totally living the hypocritical life? What do neighbours hear? I am sorry to mention it, but God shared it with me and I thought that I’d be kind and share it with you too,
This is serious business! When we are at home, we should be the same as if we are at the pulpit preaching God's Word, or counselling someone about how good God is. We cannot live two lives. We need be careful that we are not classed as unfit for service. As a church; as a man or woman of God we need to do some serious soul-searching and seek God for help. Let us send the Behind Closed Doors Syndrome to the refuse bin and fly the flag for Jesus.
Let's bring this to Him now:

Lord Jesus, I recognise that you are speaking to me and come to You right now for help. Please may I never disqualify myself and be unfit for Your service. If I have, please forgive me now. I repent and ask that You will help me to be one person, not one who puts on another hat  when home.
I ask in Jesus' Name . Amen












No comments:

Post a Comment

Leave a message

Stop being hasty

Better is the poor who walks in his integrity t han one who is perverse in his lips, and is a fool. And he sins who hastens with his feet.  ...