Tuesday 20 July 2021

Roll your baggage over

"Commit your works to the LORD, and your thoughts will be established."    
                                                                                                        Proverbs 16:3    NKJV

I remember back in 1970 when I was being posted overseas. As a young soldier, I struggled with all of my baggage from Euston Railway Station to Euston Air Terminal  Anyone, who remembers their first posting will sympathise; I had all of my baggage. All my army kit and my own suitcase too. I had to keep stopping because of the weight of it all. I couldn't afford a taxi, even though a couple stopped to see if I needed a fare.It was a nightmare. Recently, I thought about my plight in Euston, London, I wondered how it would have felt if Jesus had turned up and asked me to give Him the bags. It would have been wonderful.

I now realise, to a degree, how a camel feels in the early morning sun, worn out and thirsty with a massive weight on it's back. Proverbs 16:3 says, 'Commit your works to the LORD, and your thoughts will be established.' The Hebrew word for 'commit' is to roll, roll down, roll away or remove. The picture is of a camel burdened with a heavy load; when the burden is to be removed, the camel kneels down and tilts to one side and the load rolls off. This scripture encourages the reader to roll his care over to God's care. Do you get the picture.

We carry many burdens each day that could so easily be 'rolled' over to God. Psalm 55:22 tells us to "Cast your burden on the LORD, and He shall sustain you." Again in Matthew 11:28, 'Come to Me, all you who labour and are heavy laden, and I will give you rest.'  Why did Jesus say such a thing? Simple, because He knows us through and through. He knows how we take on too much, our loads and sometimes other people's too. He knows how we worry and fret because we are trying so hard to balance all we have to do and how it would be so easy, to just give up and walk away at times. He wants us to use His strength. Don't forget, on our own we can do nothing, but with Jesus we can do all things, Philippians 4:13.

Ask yourself, 'Isn't it about time that I stopped trying to do everything? Isn't it time that I only take on what I can manage? The thing to do, is roll it over to Jesus and allow Him to break all you have got to do into equal parts - important ones first - and then proceed through the agenda until you have achieved it. Then take a break with Jesus, before you start the next. He knows what He is doing; at times, we don't. Roll it all over to Him and refuse to be heavy laden again.

Copyriight 2021 Grahame Howard
  

No comments:

Post a Comment

Leave a message

Stop being hasty

Better is the poor who walks in his integrity t han one who is perverse in his lips, and is a fool. And he sins who hastens with his feet.  ...