Saturday 13 August 2022

What is your food?

"My food is to do the will of Him who sent Me, and to finish His work." v34  
                                                                                                        John 4:1-42  CSB 

Jesus had a 100% dedication and commitment to His Father and nothing was going to prevent Him carrying out His mission. 

Many have said that they could never match this commitment, it is just too impossible. Well, partly there is truth to these statements, after all, Jesus is God, He can do it all. However, in John 14:12, Jesus said, 'Truly I tell you, the one who believes in Me will also do the works that I do. And he will do even greater works than these because I am going to the Father.' 

Jesus Himself said we could do it, so it must be true. However, it takes a certain type of lifestyle to be able to be committed this way. We must be able to put to death the old life and live the new. Charles Spurgeon put it this way:

'When we have conquered ourselves, we have conquered all.'

Jesus had said, 'My food is to do the will of God - '. Bruce Milne in his book The Message of John writes: 'The service of the kingdom is like a food which sustains and fulfils'. This was the type of food Jesus described that day and displayed in His daily life. 
Warren W Wiersbe comments, 'Jesus viewed His work as the very nourishment of His soul. Doing the Father's will fed Him and satisfied Him inwardly.'
Tony Evans added to this, 'Jesus' greatest satisfaction was not in filling His belly but, in obeying God. For us too, the spiritual must take precedence over the physical.'

There we have it; Jesus' food was obeying God. He lived for it and therefore changed many lives in doing so. You are His child, made in His image. He has said you can be committed and dedicated, so you can do it. There is however, a part that you have to play:

'I have been crucified with Christ, and I no longer live, but Christ lives in me. The life I now live in the body, I live by faith in the Son of God who loved me and gave Himself for me.'
                                                                                               Galatians 2:20

Conclusion? You need to die to self.

Copyright 2022 Grahame Howard.                                

dailylifewithjesusbygrahamehoward.blogspot.com  

        

If you would like to contact me, CLICK HERE


Member of the National Association of Christian Ministers

Why not order my Daily Commentary from Amazon - Paperback or Kindle 

Check it out

 https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B084G9S4FD/ref=dbs_a_def_rwt_bibl_vppi_i2












 









 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Leave a message

Grace

" Then Paul stood up, and motioning with  his  hand said, “Men of Israel, and you who fear God, listen:   17  The God of this people  I...