Sunday 12 May 2024

Be sure to take your medicine

"My son, give attention to my words; incline your ear to my sayings. 21 Do not let them depart from your eyes; keep them in the midst of your heart; 22 For they are life to those who find them, and health to all their flesh."  Proverbs 4:20-22   NKJV

Time and time again, we are reminded to read the word daily. The book of Joshua tells us in Ch1 verse 8 to, 'meditate in it day and night,' Why? Because it will make you prosperous and give you good success. The same can be said for Psalm 1:2 where we read, 'But his delight is in the law of the LORD, and in His law, he meditates day and night.' Bob Gass described this as 'Percolating over the word.

You can always tell someone who reads their bible often because, the bible is well used, in fact it may be battered and torn in places with more of their own words added and highlighting all over every page. It's nice to walk to church with a nice, gleaming leather bible but a bible that is well used carries a mine of information. It is like a treasure chest. I could actually preach by just opening my oldest bible, because over the years I have added key information. And this is helpful for learning and researching.

The Word of God is like medicine to our soul. Being made up of Mind, Will and Emotions, one can easily understand why this is so important. If we are ill, to refrain from taking our medication, can be detrimental to our health. To fail to read our bible, which is our food and medicine, is leaving ourselves unprojected. What we put in our reserve tank helps us to have the necessary ammunition to defend ourselves against the enemy rather like Jesus did in the wilderness when He was faced with the temptations the devil threw at Him.

Do you mark your bible? To highlight a scripture can help us easily find it but better still, can reinforce the impact of the scripture. Also to write short comments in the border can further enhance the meaning. There used to be a saying a few years ago that said: ‘When a bible’s well used, the devil’s not amused.’ There is no spiritual relevance to this at all; it was just a saying. It does though drive home how helpful and important it is to be equipped with the Word of God.

If you don't know Jesus or, have fallen away, why not say this prayer right now:
'Lord Jesus, I have sinned and I ask you to forgive me and be my Lord and Saviour. Please come into my heart, fill me with Your Spirit and give me a brand new start today.

In Jesus' Name. Amen'

Copyright 2024 Grahame Howard.                                

dailylifewithjesusbygrahamehoward.blogspot.com  

If you would like to contact me, grahame.howard@hotmail.co.uk

Member of the National Association of Christian Ministers

Why not order my Daily Commentary from Amazon - Paperback or Kindle 

Check it out


No comments:

Post a Comment

Leave a message

Grace

" Then Paul stood up, and motioning with  his  hand said, “Men of Israel, and you who fear God, listen:   17  The God of this people  I...