Tuesday 19 March 2024

Broken Windows, Empty Hallways

"Do you want to go away?  John 6:67  NKJV

Many of Jesus' disciples were turning away from Him because of some of the extreme things He was saying: 'I am the bread which came down from heaven.' From thereon, He spoke about eating His own flesh and drinking His blood and some, could not handle this teaching, so they left. This is why He turned round to His disciples and asked if they wanted to leave too.
At this time, it may have been a very difficult time for Jesus. He knew that He would suffer such things but it still hurts. When you think about it, Jesus was on His own and He knew what lay ahead. This is why He needed to be alone with His Father as much as He could be. The disciples loved Him but, they were confused and bewildered at times and couldn't figure Him out.

This reminded me of the 1968 Randy Newman song: 'I think it's going to rain today'
Look at the lyrics below and you'll find it describes a person, probably down on his luck, one in which rejection has taken place: 
Broken windows and empty hallways, a pale dead moon in the sky streaked with gray
Human kindness is overflowing, and I think it's going to rain today
Scarecrows dressed in the latest styles, with frozen smiles to chase love away. Human kindness is overflowing. And I think it's going to rain today
Lonely, lonelyTin can at my feet
Think I'll kick it down the street
That's the way to treat a friend
Bright before me the signs implore me To help the needy and show them the wayHuman kindness is overflowing and I think it's going to rain today
Songwriters: Randy Newman
I Think It's Going to Rain Today lyrics © Songtrust Ave, Sony/ATV Music Publishing LLC, Warner Chappell Music, Inc

Although, these lyrics in no way speak about how Jesus felt, there is a similarity of rejection, loneliness and desertion. There are people around today, probably in your church, who have or are, suffering in this way. Life can be difficult at times and can pull us apart. Some are broken inside and yet, they are trained in not showing you. They carry their hurt around, never getting too close or trusting anyone. Life has abused and robbed them. PTSD may be a reason for some. A broken relationship for another. They may love Jesus but never go too far with Him - just in case He hurts them too. They may be searching in some way for Jesus to help them but, feel too ashamed to reach for Him. Can you help?

This may bring someone to mind. Just showing them a little kindness can go a long way to gaining their trust. How would Jesus Himself handle someone like this? If you know, why not make the first approach, today. 

If you don't know Jesus or, have fallen away, why not say this prayer right now:
'Lord Jesus, I have sinned and I ask you to forgive me and be my Lord and Saviour. Please come into my heart, fill me with Your Spirit and give me a brand new start today.

In Jesus' Name. Amen'

Copyright 2024 Grahame Howard.                                

dailylifewithjesusbygrahamehoward.blogspot.com  

If you would like to contact me, grahame.howard@hotmail.co.uk

Member of the National Association of Christian Ministers

Why not order my Daily Commentary from Amazon - Paperback or Kindle 

Check it out

 https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B084G9S4FD/ref=dbs_a_def_rwt_bibl_vppi_i2




 


 

 


 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Leave a message

Grace

" Then Paul stood up, and motioning with  his  hand said, “Men of Israel, and you who fear God, listen:   17  The God of this people  I...